2020 ghost vs 2020 LXT

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2019
I’d have your kids stop asking you questions during a game about what bat to use. Let them think for themselves....just a friendly suggestion that will help your kids in the long run
I make suggestions before the game on which bat(s) to use. After I see the pitcher and where they are hitting the ball we may tweak a couple things. Stand further back in the box, or move-up against a slower pitcher.
I understand what your saying about them being more self sufficient but at their age they need constant reminders on the basics. I know them better than their coach. I try and be discrete as to not upset anybody but it’s not always easy.
Sometimes I’ll get a text during the game when I try and distance myself and sit way down the 3rd base line. Dad what am I doing wrong? I think it’s more of a nervous/comfort thing at this point. They will be on their own soon enough.
I honestly don’t mind the questions and it’s rewarding to give them advice that they actually use. Especially when little tweak gets positive results.

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Agreed Eric

Its why every bat comes with warranties...that fine line of trying to get the most out of a bat, keep it legal,
and make it durable...but not too durable so as it hinders the performance because then it wont sell
because its not "hot" enough out of the wrapper :)

Aug 11, 2015
I make suggestions before the game on which bat(s) to use. After I see the pitcher and where they are hitting the ball we may tweak a couple things. Stand further back in the box, or move-up against a slower pitcher.
I understand what your saying about them being more self sufficient but at their age they need constant reminders on the basics. I know them better than their coach. I try and be discrete as to not upset anybody but it’s not always easy.
Sometimes I’ll get a text during the game when I try and distance myself and sit way down the 3rd base line. Dad what am I doing wrong? I think it’s more of a nervous/comfort thing at this point. They will be on their own soon enough.
I honestly don’t mind the questions and it’s rewarding to give them advice that they actually use. Especially when little tweak gets positive results.

My girl just turned 14 so trust me when I say I feel your pain. I'll just say IMO you are doing them a disservice. There's plenty of time before and after games to discuss what they may or may not be doing or what transpired during the game(s). Its how they learn the game and make self improvement. As a parent you have one job on game days and that's to cheer for your kid. Nothing else.

May 12, 2016
DD had a Xeno, Power Carbon, Demarini CF8, CF9, etc.. Even though I still believe the CF8 -11 was the hottest bat she's ever had, the Ghost 2019 ASA certainly had/has the largest sweet spot. Ball flies of the bat on any part of the barrel.

Durability wise, OUR experience so far is the Ghost is not quite as durable. DD's cracked after 1 month, and seen a brand new one(couple weeks old) 2 weekends ago where the end cap snapped off. This is just what I've seen with my own eyes. CF8 cracked after a season and a half, Xeno is 4 years old (hand me down from older DD) and it's been left in the garage over winter(here in Canada) for two years, still going strong and lots of pop. CF9 still ok.

75% of my DD's team now uses the Ghost

Mar 1, 2018
My girl just turned 14 so trust me when I say I feel your pain. I'll just say IMO you are doing them a disservice. There's plenty of time before and after games to discuss what they may or may not be doing or what transpired during the game(s). Its how they learn the game and make self improvement. As a parent you have one job on game days and that's to cheer for your kid. Nothing else.
I’ll second Dford42 on this. Sometimes it’s tough to watch them struggle, but failure can be beneficial. One thing I found that helps both DD, and myself, is taking in game slo-mo videos of her swings, (discretely of course so as to not make her nervous) and then review them with her a couple days after. I found that she responds better to seeing the swings for herself.

Jun 8, 2016
I’ll second Dford42 on this. Sometimes it’s tough to watch them struggle, but failure can be beneficial. One thing I found that helps both DD, and myself, is taking in game slo-mo videos of her swings, (discretely of course so as to not make her nervous) and then review them with her a couple days after. I found that she responds better to seeing the swings for herself.
I might say something in between games but from where I sit saying something during the game would be awkward for everybody involved.

Apr 28, 2019
Then how are they asking you? Sign language?
I walk over to dugout/bench. Many softball fields in our area are lucky to have a fence. An actual dugout is a luxury. Most fields just have a higher fence in front of a bench. Makes for easy communication. Also they will text on occasion when I try and stay away.

Jun 11, 2019
My DD's hard-hitting 14U team has 5 (maybe 6?) players using the 2018 ASA Ghost (the blue one). We've had one break...13 months after purchase...by a girl who is 6'/180lbs and crushes with regularity AND shares her bat frequently. That bat was worked over. A 260' foul ball was it's final song. My DD's Ghost is a little older. It get shared a lot too, and my kid hits pretty hard. It's still doing just fine. So are all other other Ghosts on the team.

Here's the thing...All bats break. All of them. Top level performance is a balancing act with durability. Hearing lots of stories about Ghosts breaking is more a testament to how many are being used than a significant flaw in the bat. From what I'm seeing out on the fields of So Cal travel ball every weekend, no bat is more popular than the Ghost right now.

I will soon have 3 new 2020 Ghosts on the way to me for my DD and 2 of her teammates.
That ucla uses the Eastons and Easton giving nice fat discounts to certain organizations helps with the bats popularity.

Bats are a funny thing and each brand has a cyclical demand. The CF8 was awesome, everyone loved it, the black LXT was pretty amazing as well. Then your organization makes everyone swing Mizuno NightHawks and those things are duds, everyone hates them, the organization switches it up to allow Wilson and Louisville bats and everyone's happy, until Mizuno comes out with new great bats. Then the kid swings a Rawlings at Mary Nutter, hears the Phoenix is coming back or joins a team with a fat Easton discount and the bat bucket in the garage gets another addition.

Bats, man, bats

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles