Opinions on bat comparison...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
There is a huge drop in performance as you get away from the ss. The inner tech of most bats are made to maximize
ss trampoline. As you get away from the ss, the reaction of the barrel is much less...whether you misshit towards the
endcap or handle, will be less than the ss. Thats why when they do compression test, they do it at the ss.

The BPF is only what the bat is allowed to get to. Now, the key is that when you play with the inner tech, you can make
the outer composite thinner and hotter...and the inner tech keeps the bat from going over the limit. Thats why you get
bats that are hotter out of the wrapper than others

The inner and outer combined result in a bat that doesn't exceed the 1.20 bpf standards.. From what I understand, the velocity of the ball in the test is rather high which may be done to simulate a "big" and more dangerous to the defense swing.. The inner basically deadens the bat to the 1.20 standards and protects the outer from over deflecting. If the inner wasn't there, the trampoline effect of the outer would be huge, but the composite wouldn't survive at all from the deflection.

My opinion is that many dual wall bats "help" with out of range (as compared to the 1.20bpf test) bat/ball contacts and to outperform "standard" single wall bats in those sub optimal conditions, i.e. the 1.20bpf doesn't restrict how hot a "slower" bat/ball collision or sub optimal sweet spot contact can be, it is only designed to restrict the highest velocity contacts. I genuinely believe that the older and stronger that a player gets, the less and less difference bats make. just my .02

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Yes, the inner discs, walls, yada yada allows the comp walls to be thinner, thus hotter right away...but keeps it from
getting illegal and failing and getting banned. And yes, if you didnt have the inner tech, the outside walls would flex
so much it would be hot as heck, but also not be able to handle the flex.
If a bat doesnt have the inner tech, the composite will be thicker and still not allowed to go past the allowed batted ball rate.
So not as hot right away and will take longer to break in, BUT still not allowed to go past the limits or banning will happen.
Not like that bat would be allowed to get hotter and hotter. So still has to comply.

Same reason many old eastons were banned and other old bats....because the composite wasnt tested like that back then
and the bats would get hot as fire. Now, you cant have that.

May 17, 2018
I can assure you beyond any science imaginable, the LS XENO and RXT are AS GOOD as any Easton Ghost performance wise and will last longer. I'd stake a LARGE pile of $ on that statement. All the sensory cues that make you think its hotter are not actual performance enhancements.

We did the Ghost exchange dance many MANY times over the past few years. We have returned 12 Ghosts in 4 years. We returned 7 of the blue Ghosts alone in the first year they came out. NUTS!

DD tried last years LS RXT model and it SMOKES!!! That RXT made it through the entire HS season and now is 2 tourneys away from lasting her entire summer season as well. Its been a LONG TIME since one bat made it thru 2 full playing seasons. By season I am referring to the weather seasons. We play year around and play about 30 games each season.

Full disclosure, she has broken an LS bat in the past. Nothing is immune from the occasional warranty return.

I'd stick with the LS.
That is good to know. I appreciate your time.

May 17, 2018
Im not going to tell anyone how to or how not to spend their money. But I am of the mind that the skill/mechanics have to justify the quality of tool being used. Or at least the investment is being put into said skill work to get better.

I see locally so many 12u/14u girls at the C and B level swinging a Ghost (and now Mantra) but their mechanics aren’t great. Many are only getting singles because they don’t spend time on hitting. They rely on a hot bat to off set poor mechanics. One girl on DD’s school team only bunted because it was the only way to get her on base. Guess what she bunted with? A Ghost.

We told DD that if she started spending time on her hitting and actually practicing outside her lessons we’d upgrade her into a Xeno (from a low level composite she had). Between her work and new bat singles turned into doubles and even triples. It wasn’t just that the ball was coming off harder….it was where in the OF it was going. But you can tell when it’s a mis-hit or she misses the sweet spot. IMO….the Xeno isn’t as forgiving as other models. For now DD loves her bats. And won’t even try to swing something else (despite me trying to see if she likes another better).

She will continue to use her Xeno’s through next year (barring another growth spurt). After that (and if she continues working) we will look at a Ghost because her skill set “should” justify it by then.

The Ghost is un-arguably a high performance tool. But to get that it’s also less durable. You either feel the ends justify the means or you don’t. Right now, we don’t. Having DD continue to work on her mechanics has provided her more gains than simply investing $300+ on a single bat. I bought two 2019 Xeno’s (NIW) for the price of a new Ghost. Probably didn’t even need two but her gamer this year will become her cage/practice bat next year.

Again, I’m not saying don’t buy a Ghost. I’m also not saying go buy one. Just providing food for thought for your decision making. A lot of girls (youth to D1) hit hard and see gains with other bats on the market that you can find for less. You need to take an honest look at where your DD is in her hitting journey. Is a Ghost the investment needed? Or would hitting lessons and cage time be the better investment?
Thank you. She does lessons and does tee work/soft toss/front toss outside of practice at least 2 days a week outside of her 2 practices. I feel like her 2020 LXT has lost some pop and she has swung the ghost at practice. She puts the work in which is why I keep paying. Swing is great, I just feel like i will get screwed somehow on an expensive bat that isnt durable.

May 17, 2018
If anybody has 50 bats sitting around IMO they are grasping at straws. Either your DD can hit or she cant. Good hitters can hit with any bat. Its not the arrow, its the Indian. I think buying bats for your DD like they are samplers might also erode her confidence. Its like saying, "here Jenny, look what daddy got you, try this one. Maybe, just maybe you can hit with this one." Then you get into switching bats mid game/tourney because this bat isn't working and you're putting trust is the bat and not your swing.
That being said, DD swings a ghost. Next closest bat she has swung to compare with ghost was the 2016 Xeno that sounded like glass breaking. And they are still around $300 if you can find one.
She has a 32 drop 10 2016 xeno. She loves it. Have you ever heard anything about the 2016 LXT? I was just considering not doing a new
RXT and or Ghost, and just get the 2016 xeno 33 drop 10. or LXT.

Jun 8, 2016
If she wants a new bat, but there is nothing wrong with the bat she is using (isn't too small, hasn't lost pop, etc), then she can figure out a way to pay for it herself...I know it is the 21st century, but there is no rule that says that kids need to get everything they want.

May 29, 2019
She has a 32 drop 10 2016 xeno. She loves it. Have you ever heard anything about the 2016 LXT? I was just considering not doing a new
RXT and or Ghost, and just get the 2016 xeno 33 drop 10. or LXT.
If she loves the 2016 Xeno so much, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with grabbing a new old stock one in the 33-10 size if you can find one. Granted, I have no idea if they are still out there, and at what kind of prices. From what I remember, those were very highly regarded until the original Ghost came out, so I am guessing that a new 33 -10 would not be easy to come by?

My DD absolutely loved the Demarini Slapper bats. When they were discontinued, I bought the next couple of sizes bigger to stash away until she grew into them. Stores were practically giving them away. Those bats were crazy good, but what seemed like a sound marketing idea killed an otherwise great bat. They should have made that bat the "balanced" -10 bat in their lineup.

Jun 22, 2019
I have yet to see a ghost be outperformed.

We went to a showcase on Tuesday, there was around a hundred girls there and I would say more than 60% had ghosts. My daughter was swinging an LXT and hit the most HRs and by far the furthest HRs.

She also has ghost and ghost advanced in her bag, but likes the LXT better.

There is no across the board advantage for any of the top level bats. They are limited to a performance standard and all of them push right up against that limit.

Feel and preference is much more important than any perceived performance benefit from another top tier bat.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles