16U/18U Showcase/Gold Teams: How much time off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Just curious...how much "time off" does the typical 18U Gold team take off each year? I'm talking about "downtime" when the team is not practicing, usually in the winter. I've talked to parents from a few teams and it seems like many of them shut down during December or November/December. Is this the norm throughout the country?

Jun 11, 2012
Our team shuts down for Nov-Dec and then starts up with hitting and indoor practices in January until HS season starts in mid-March

Jan 27, 2010
NJ
DD's teams have always shut down following the last tourney in Nov thru Dec. In her case that was the 22nd of Nov and while there is no team practices, she has hit and caught for a friend during that time.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
DD team(18u) will shut down Dec.15 until Jan 5. Just because the college that the team uses for practices will be closed for winter break. Doesn't mean DD will shut down. We will continue to hit in the garage 2x's a week.

Jul 14, 2010
NJ/PA
Right, I'm sure everyone is still working individually, more interested in the official time off for the team.

Most teams in our area shut down Nov/Dec, didn't know if that is the same for teams in warmer climates.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Our team shuts down for Nov-Dec and then starts up with hitting and indoor practices in January until HS season starts in mid-March

Same process with my DD's team. They will continue voluntary practices after HS starts, but will limit it to once per week until school ball is over. Some schools will allow participation, some do not.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Just curious...how much "time off" does the typical 18U Gold team take off each year? I'm talking about "downtime" when the team is not practicing, usually in the winter. I've talked to parents from a few teams and it seems like many of them shut down during December or November/December. Is this the norm throughout the country?

You will find out that there is no norm and what may be typical varies based on geographic location. Down here we pretty much go year round because we can. With my team we slow it down considerably from Thanksgiving to the beginning of HS ball in early January. But we still practice and play some tournaments. In other areas of the country, especially up North they may put it on a shelf for months at a time, because they can and for some they have to because it is damn cold. You need to find what works best for your players as individuals, not necessarily as a team. I have some pitchers that I am still working pretty hard, and others that are taking a break (no throwing) for several weeks.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
I think the weather will play a big part in the answers you receive, but in GA we play our last tournament the weekend before Thanksgiving and shut down completely until mid-January. We start indoor workouts in Jan and will play our first friendly in late Feb or early March depending on the weather. Mar-July is TB, Aug-Oct is HS, Nov is fall TB.

Mar 26, 2013
There are teams playing year-round in SoCal, however it varies by team.

The last team my DD played on took 4-5 weeks off after Nationals since they had filled most their open spots with known players. The coaches ran a few private workouts to pick a pitcher from 2-3 candidates.

Fall showcase season is mainly Oct thru weekend before Thanksgiving.

Winter showcasing is weak after mid-Jan since college coaches are busy with their own teams. There are a couple good tourneys - early Dec and 3rd week Jan.

Some HS teams play off-season games Oct thru Feb until the season officially starts.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish