Retaining Players and How many Tryouts are too many

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 10, 2022
Long Island NY
Hey all.

Just wondering how many tryouts are too many to go to? Or too little? if you are going from young 12u to older 12u how many do not try out anywhere else at all and just stay with current organization? How many new players do teams usually take at an age group? seems like most hjave enough players coming up from a younger team. In this case, it seems like it would be hard to mae another team unless you are a top star type player. Not sure how that all works.

I like the organization my daughter is in, but it is quite far from home for practices, especially during the week when i have to run home from work to take her. i really would not want to move her or look like i am actively trying to move her, but i feel going to a couple of tryouts just to see what is out there nearer us should be something we do. I feel very conflicted and other parts of me just want to not try out anywhere and look forward to next season knowing she will get more time since she is only 3 12u retained from current as all the other girls are going to 14u from her team they have a good amount of 10Us coming up though to join them. she is prepared for more time though we expect the team to struggle due to it being a young 12u team outside of her and a couple of others.

So just curious on how may tryouts are too much? what are teams really looking for if most of their players are still available from inside their own organizations?

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
If you do your homework. One tryout is all that is necessary. Blindly attending the "cattle call" tryouts is a waste of your time. Those coaches for the most part may only be looking for a handful of players and they know exactly who those players are.

May 27, 2022
Hey all.

Just wondering how many tryouts are too many to go to? Or too little? if you are going from young 12u to older 12u how many do not try out anywhere else at all and just stay with current organization? How many new players do teams usually take at an age group? seems like most hjave enough players coming up from a younger team. In this case, it seems like it would be hard to mae another team unless you are a top star type player. Not sure how that all works.

I like the organization my daughter is in, but it is quite far from home for practices, especially during the week when i have to run home from work to take her. i really would not want to move her or look like i am actively trying to move her, but i feel going to a couple of tryouts just to see what is out there nearer us should be something we do. I feel very conflicted and other parts of me just want to not try out anywhere and look forward to next season knowing she will get more time since she is only 3 12u retained from current as all the other girls are going to 14u from her team they have a good amount of 10Us coming up though to join them. she is prepared for more time though we expect the team to struggle due to it being a young 12u team outside of her and a couple of others.

So just curious on how may tryouts are too much? what are teams really looking for if most of their players are still available from inside their own organizations?

How far is "quite far"? Our schedule consisted of me driving 40 minutes home to grab some supper for me and some for my DD, grabbing my DD from school, driving 45 minutes to practice, helping out with practice, and then driving 45 minutes home. Twice a week for Aug-Nov and Jan-Jul for 9 years (with 2 DD's).

Yes it was a lot of road time and miles piled up. But, it was time with my DD's. Sometimes they did homework on the road - sometimes I got to try to help. Sometimes just listening to music. But, most times was talking about stuff - definitely valuable.

We had some girls on the team that would drive 1.5 or 2 hours to practice (usually just once a week for them). So, that varies. But, if you have a good team/organization that melds well with your families and DD goals and expectations, that is hard to replace.

May 1, 2018
Try outs are a beating for parents and coaches. As a coach I lost 4 players to 16u so I will have "open workouts" ... but like orange socks says I'm looking for a pitcher and a catcher and maybe a stud centerfielder. Someone would have to be pretty amazing at any other spot. Before our Spring Season even ended I had one player already lined up for the fall and they started practicing with us the day after their commitment was up with their old team.
If you are happy (mostly your DD) with the old team..... go to one local try out at most but ask around first. Don't waste time and gas.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I know I really like Rocky Road ice cream. Being that ice cream is pretty darn good in itself made it a point to try some other types of ice cream. The other ice cream is pretty good. But after trying the other ice cream I realize how much I really like Rocky Road ice cream. And recognize how much Rocky Road ice cream and I are a good fit together.

Jun 8, 2016
While I realize you seem to like your current situation, personally I would try and get her on a team which is going to move up together every year (through 14U at least..)...Hopefully you have been paying attention to the teams in your DD's age group so you have a good idea about what team(s) would be a good fit for her.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
Lots of folks come here looking for cookie-cutter answers. Typically, there aren't any. Every region is different, and every player's ability and situation is unique. If you are tired of traveling for practice, look at some teams closer to home. It's only 12U...don't kill yourselves! IMO, tryouts are largely BS...2-3 is enough. If your kid is a good player, call the coaches of the better local teams. A tryout may not even be necessary.

Feb 28, 2022
Most of the tryouts locally are "cattle call" type tryouts. For YEARS I've been telling my wife they are pointless (she agrees but as any good dad would do we like to repeat our opinions). Our DD was on one team for a few years so we always knew she would be on it but we attended the tryouts regardless.

Some of the tryouts here group 12u,14u,16u tryouts together on one big field. They are completely stupid and worthless and as orange socks said above typically the coach knows who he/she is going to be taking anyway.

This year our DD went to one tryout for the only team she wanted to be on. The coach called an hour after the tryout and offered her a spot. However I had been speaking with the coach for a few months and the tryout was more of a formality. The coach did his homework, he came and saw her at school ball games, spoke with her other coaches, and did some following on game changer.

Also, I want to add, we as her parents did A LOT of homework. We found a team that needed a player of her type, birth year, position, etc.... We also did as much research as we can on the other players and the big thing, THE PARENTS!!!! :) There is rarely a perfect solution or team for your DD but you do your best to make sure it's somewhere she'll be happy and enjoy all the work she is doing.

Jun 8, 2016
If she is going to second year 12U, why not stay with her team and play up to 14U?
I was going to say that but it sounded like she didn't play a lot maybe? Playing up only makes sense if you are in the top third of the team IMO.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariafermin279