Amount of time for a team break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 15, 2019
What's the typical amount of time for a high school age travel team to take a break from practices? On the teams we've been on, they've usually taken December off. The team DD's on now takes off 3 months. I think breaks are great and necessary but 3 months when they're all in the prime recruiting age seems like a long time. Of course DD will still get some work done on her own but wondering if anyone has thoughts on that? Is 3 months of no team practices the norm?

Apr 1, 2017
Once we reached high school, it feels like between the high school team and travel, the "season" never stops, and they definitely need a break. We have a tournament this weekend, and then won't be together again until January.

That said, being in the midwest, the weather does make taking a 2 month break easier. Been a pretty good fall overall for weather, and still might be in the 30's when we're warming up for first game saturday. If we lived someplace warmer, I'd guess we would play up to Thanksgiving, and then take a break.

Jun 8, 2016
Along with HS season (Mid-Aug till mid Oct) usually Dec through mid/end Jan (although this year they may play a Stage 2 Super Cup Alliance event in early December if they qualify this weekend.)

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2015
I would say 3-4 weeks off in August and mid-November to early January is normal. Of course the dark period during HS season.

Practice will vary for each team, some teams rarely practice together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
After 2 or 3 weeks off you are hoping for a "I so excited /happy to be back on the fields" moment. Frisbee, smash ball, football catch and volleyball during the time off will help. Never really taking time off.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Most MLB teams are off for 4.5 months from early October until mid February. Just because they teams don't practice together doesn't mean the players aren't doing the work.

I can always tell who has and hasn't picked up a bat when HS ball starts in the spring.

Jun 8, 2016
To be completely honest outside of hitting live with the team, I wouldn’t care if DD never practiced with her team if learning softball was the only thing she got out of it. We could work at home and I would save money on gas. However she enjoys being around her teammates so there is more to it than that…plus the extra “together time” would probably take an additional 10 years off my life.

Nov 15, 2019
DD will work at home but space is limited and outside is not an option due to cold weather. This really just leaves the ability for tee work, side toss, and doing wall ball or some other kind of small space work. Definitely no room for front toss, other fielding work, or throwing. There are no facilities close by that we can go to. There is a batting cage an hour away we will hit up once a week. High school open gyms have stopped for 3 months as well because of no available gym time due to winter sports. So what options are there for working out on your own with this scenario?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez