Amount of time for a team break?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 17, 2022
My DD's team (10U) takes mid-Nov-Jan off, mainly because all the dads want to go hunting and the weather isn't as good. We practice once a month just for team-building and to get the girls back together. During that time though, they all practice at home on fundamentals, develop their strength and conditioning, or we have impromptu get-togethers.
So what options are there for working out on your own with this scenario?

I work with my daughter on fun games and activities that involve footwork and balance (I taught her how to do many variations of the Lindy hop since swing dancing is a great activity for balance and coordination on the feet), strength and conditioning, and work on hand-eye coordination with tennis balls/foam softballs when the weather is terrible.

ALL pro sports teams work on strength and conditioning during the off-season to prepare their athletes for the upcoming season and reduce injury. This can be done with no equipment when working on things like calisthenics which I tend to stick to with girls below the age of 16. Yes, it can get boring, but it pays off wildly when the season starts. Practice is NOT the time to be working on S&C, it is the time to use it to learn game fundamentals and skills. They need a program outside of practice and the off-season is the perfect time to start.

May 27, 2022
My opinion - 2 months off is not a bad thing if that fits into your game schedule. 1 month off minimum or just keep working through.

I've seen many girls that plateau after 3-4 months of practice/games. Get away for a couple months. And then vgrow past their previous plateau after getting back into practices again.

With my daughters, as busy as they are, I was initially concerned that they would regress by not touching a bat/ball for 2 months straight. But, I was pleasantly surprise when I saw their growth rate after time off. They regained their skill and then grew past them.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
It's OK to take time off. Just be prepared for a little regression. Don't go straight from time off into a Tourney or showcase. That's why MLB has spring training.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
...And there's a difference between taking time off and letting things go and gaining 10 lbs...

There have been some college players where watched them come back after the summer looking like they're larger version of themselves... and get punished trying to get back in shape.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06