14u....what does each OF position mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
I don't think there is any true answer to that. Typically the CF is the "best" as they should be covering more ground but that isn't always the case. It is good if RF has a strong arm for long throws to 3rd and the occasional out at 1 on a hard hit ball.

Certain pitchers get balls hit to certain fields, if a team is hitting the ball the RF put your best fielder over there...

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I'd put most skilled OF in CF.

A wide-ranging and skilled CF can help hide the deficiencies of lesser outfielders on either side, whereas a wide-ranging LF or RF can only help cover one other outfielder (CF).

Also, the CF is involved in more ''who's ball is that'' scenarios than the others because of the CF's proximity to LF, RF, SS and 2B. The corner outfielders have one less fielder with which to negotiate.

I'd also suspect the CF gets as many chances for putout assists at 2B as the RF does at 1B. CF gets more balls from backup situations since catcher is throwing to 2B.

Finally comment would be that I often think speed is overrated in CF. It's a great asset to have, no doubt, and it would be rare to have a mule and plow out there. But I'd much rather have great skill/decent speed than decent skill/great speed in CF.

Jun 11, 2013
My DD plays a lot of 1B, but when she plays OF she likes to play RF. She can play LF well and is a little slow for CF, but I think because she spends so much time on the right side she picks up the ball better off the bat and gets a great jump. I also think that being a lefty she gets in the gap better. Unless you have stud pitchers you can't really hide a weak OF in 14U TB.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
My dd was the most skilled technically but slowest of our OFs in both TB and HS. So, two "jackrabbits" played on both sides of her. Her arm was by far the best. WRT the other positions, it really depends and there is no real standard. Some teams have outstanding pitching and so, with a majority of hitters expected to be right handed and late on swings, I've seen coaches put their best OF in right.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
Usually the fastest player who takes good angles to the ball plays CF. I love having a girl with a strong arm in RF. If you have a pitcher who can hit her spot and throws hard RF will see more action than LF, so I would put my weakest OF in LF. If your pitcher is slower or tends to hang pitches, switch LF and RF since more batters will turn on the pitch.

I want a smart outfielder with good skills and excellent communication in CF. She will run the show for four other fielders (SS, 2B, RF, LF) so I want a good decision-maker out there. She also needs to understand her role well and make those around her better. She needs to be loud and unafraid to make calls.

If you are playing 14U ball of any quality, you really should be looking for good players to be at all the OF positions. You will not be able to "hide" anybody when solid 14U bats start lighting up normal 14U pitching.

May 12, 2014
Thanks for the feedback. DD just started playing OF this season because the coach wanted his "best" athletes in the OF, because the level we play at...balls are getting hit out there. DD flips between all 3 positions depending on who we are playing and who's with her in the OF. I was just curious about who plays where out there.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
We came from a team last year with a bunch of kids who can play outfield to one with only a couple and they happen to be our best Catchers and Infielders. I'm glad I'm not coaching because short of cutting some players and bringing in some athletes I have no real solution except to work on building some. Have your DD embrace the OF and work hard at it. Do the little things like backing up and continue to hit. As they get older and teams consolidate making sure you are in the 9 that play sundays becomes critical.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32