Noob Questions About Defensive Switches

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 21, 2023
Just have a few questions I would like clarified. This is for NFHS rules.

1) If I switch my RF and P on defense, does this switch need to be announced ? My understanding is this is not a substitution and therefore does not need to be announced.

2) Does the new P receive any time to warmup time if it is in the middle of an inning there would be in a normal substitution ? (P and RF switch after 1 out for example)

3) Do Catchers receive warmup time if a switch is made mid-inning? (C and CF switch after 1 out for example)

Thanks.

Jan 30, 2019
1. This switch is not required to be announced because it is not considered a substitution, however, since the change involves the pitcher, it would be best to report to the umpire as it does have implications on your curtesy runner. Some umpires might get lost as to who threw the last pitch in the inning and may receive the curtesy runner. Especially if the runner is asked for 2-3 innings after the change.

2. A new pitcher is entitled to no more than 5 warmup pitches after a change. The exception is if the pitcher had previously pitched in that inning. To take your example #12 pitched until there was 1 out, #5 replaced her, she is entitled to 5 warmup pitches. A batter later, #5 gets injured so #12 returns to the circle. #12 is not entitled to warmup pitches she pitched previously in the inning.

3. No. Catchers are not entitled to receive warmups pitches.

Feb 21, 2023
Thank you. One final question.

Can I do a defensive switch followed by an immediate substitution?

Example: In between the first and second inning I do a defensive switch (P #1 and RF #2). I then sub (RF#1 for Sub RF#3) in for her? Is that ok?

Jul 22, 2015

Example: In between the first and second inning I do a defensive switch (P #1 and RF #2). I then sub (RF#1 for Sub RF#3) in for her? Is that ok?
Your position switches don't need to be reported (with the possible exception of P and C for courtesy runners). General rule is if you aren't changing the batting order you don't need to report it. Position changes aren't relevant to how or when you sub either, so if you're making a sub don't worry about positions, just who they are subbing in for in the batting order. If I'm umpiring, after the 1st inning I don't really need to know who is playing where if it didn't change the batting order.

Jan 30, 2019

Yes, I see this a lot. The pitcher the coach wants to pitch is playing RF (#2), but they don't want to leave the current pitcher (#1) in the game, so the substitute is for the pitcher (#1) in the batting line-up. So defensively now #2 is pitching and #3 is playing RF. In the batting order, #2 bats in the same position as normal and #3 bats in the place of #1.

An umpire should repeat all the changes you are making back to you, at least that is what I do and 99% of my partners. This serves 2 purposes, make sure I understand what you are trying to do and record the change(s) properly. Also, it helps me catch anything you are not supposed to be doing like if #3 was already used a substitute for #4 and then #4 was reentered. I would not allow you to make the change to prevent you from having an "illegal substitute" playing in the game.

Feb 13, 2021
MI

As Nasolis said, this is perfectly fine. HOWEVER, neither of these 2 players would be eligible for a CR in the team's (current) at-bat since neither of them are the pitcher of record.

Since this is between half-innings and you are essentially making a hitting change at this point, as a matter of habit as an umpire I tell the HC, "Coach, I just want the current change (the batting order change). Give me the defensive change when you retake the field." This way I KNOW who the last P of record is and it , hopefully, registers with the HC as well when I tell him/her that no CR may be used.

May 29, 2015
As Nasolis said, this is perfectly fine. HOWEVER, neither of these 2 players would be eligible for a CR in the team's (current) at-bat since neither of them are the pitcher of record.

Since this is between half-innings and you are essentially making a hitting change at this point, as a matter of habit as an umpire I tell the HC, "Coach, I just want the current change (the batting order change). Give me the defensive change when you retake the field." This way I KNOW who the last P of record is and it , hopefully, registers with the HC as well when I tell him/her that no CR may be used.

Most codes have done away with "projected substitutions." Coaches must report substitutions when they happen.

Feb 13, 2021
MI
Most codes have done away with "projected substitutions." Coaches must report substitutions when they happen.

I know sometimes it is hard for me to be clear in my posts, but this is what I intended to portray. Just give me the batting change; what you are going to do in the field will be addressed when you take the field. The important point in relation to the OP is that no CR is available for the P (since there is NO P of record in the game at this point) until after you have again taken the field. As a matter of fact, technically, I do not even want the change until the involved slot in the batting order comes to the plate.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles