14u....what does each OF position mean?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 15, 2016
I think it all really depends on the three girls you have in the outfield. I have seen one very fast girl put in center to cover a lot of ground and two slower girls put in right and left. I have also seen two really fast girls put in right and left with the slower girl in center. I am a big believer in speed in the outfield but they have to be able to get a good jump, take the right angle, and then make the catch when they get to the ball. A faster girl with good instincts and skills makes difficult plays routine and turns hits into outs. There is no substitute for speed because you have to be able to get to the ball to make the play. I will sacrifice some arm strength for speed in center to cut off the gaps, but I like to have good arms on both corners. Obviously, in a perfect world, all three outfielders would have world-class speed, great instincts/skills, and laser beam arms. Most coaches don't get that kind of blessing. I have seen girls who are good center-fielders look absolutely lost in left or right because they can't figure out how to play the ball when it is hooking or slicing. I don't like to say "best" goes anywhere because I hate to label it that way. If I put your DD in RF it is because that is where she needs to be for me to put the best team on the field. It does not necessarily mean that I think the CF girl is better or another girl is the worst. After tryouts last summer we had four excellent outfielders who accepted spots on the team. I asked them all where they play and they all told me they were center-fielders. One is our returning center-fielder and I think she will move to right this summer because one of the new girls is faster and a little better fielder but the returning girl has a better arm.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd