13 YO DD hitting video

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Don't golfers hit the ground first?

mel_tee1.jpg

Above, the club head is shown resting on the ground to help emphasize the relative height of the tee. The objective is not to have a steep swing that has the club head hitting the ground, but to instead sweep the ball off the tee.

There was a hockey video clip that was frequently floated about ... the point being that there were several relevant analogies to hitting.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2009
Atlanta, Georgia
I would highly recommend a firm grip at contact. Hitters use different knuckle alignments. Find one that works for you. IMO the biggest improvement in the grip comes from getting the bat out of the palm and more towards the fingers. The difference in how the ball is impacted when the bat is held in the fingers is very noticeable; even when hitting off of a tee.

The benefit of lining up the knocker knuckles is that it helps with slotting the rear elbow. When you turn the top hand to line up the knocker knuckles the rear elbow wants to suck up to the rear rib cage. It's a good way to help kids keep their rear elbow from getting too elevated when they load their hands. Most young kids who are taught to line up the knocker knuckles will naturally end up with more of an off-set grip.

The guy in the article that SB posted didn't seem to have a clue as to the relationship between the back elbow and lining up the knocker knuckles. Suggesting it has something to do with linear hitting is ridiculous. All one has to do is start with a box grip and rotate the top hand to align the knocker knuckles to figure out the relationship to the back elbow.

One of the biggest swing flaws of young kids is they don't get their back elbow slotted correctly and on time. Stuff like the front elbow collasping can be traced back to how the back elbow is slotted. Casting can also be traced back to the slotting of the back elbow.

Oct 25, 2009
As far as firmness at contact the bat is still being accelerated so there is at least some pressure. I teach some kids to kiai at the moment of impact and I believe that creates some extra pressure.

Jun 24, 2009
One of the biggest swing flaws of young kids is they don't get their back elbow slotted correctly and on time. Stuff like the front elbow collasping can be traced back to how the back elbow is slotted. Casting can also be traced back to the slotting of the back elbow.
I wish we had a thread on this subject.

Last edited:

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
I would highly recommend a firm grip at contact. Hitters use different knuckle alignments. Find one that works for you. IMO the biggest improvement in the grip comes from getting the bat out of the palm and more towards the fingers. The difference in how the ball is impacted when the bat is held in the fingers is very noticeable; even when hitting off of a tee.

The benefit of lining up the knocker knuckles is that it helps with slotting the rear elbow. When you turn the top hand to line up the knocker knuckles the rear elbow wants to suck up to the rear rib cage. It's a good way to help kids keep their rear elbow from getting too elevated when they load their hands. Most young kids who are taught to line up the knocker knuckles will naturally end up with more of an off-set grip.

The guy in the article that SB posted didn't seem to have a clue as to the relationship between the back elbow and lining up the knocker knuckles. Suggesting it has something to do with linear hitting is ridiculous. All one has to do is start with a box grip and rotate the top hand to align the knocker knuckles to figure out the relationship to the back elbow.

Well said. I also believe that the grip effects the slotting of the back elbow. Don't forget that the lower half of the swing still needs to be connected in sequence to have it happen with acceleration.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
mel_tee1.jpg

Above, the club head is shown resting on the ground to help emphasize the relative height of the tee. The objective is not to have a steep swing that has the club head hitting the ground, but to instead sweep the ball off the tee.

There was a hockey video clip that was frequently floated about ... the point being that there were several relevant analogies to hitting.

Why do golfers take a divot? Does that bend the club? Or is it just putting spin on the ball?

Jun 24, 2010
Mississippi
Why do golfers take a divot? Does that bend the club? Or is it just putting spin on the ball?

On teed shots they do not, or not suppose to. lol On irons or fairway woods, the club head comes in contact with the ball 1st. Once contact is made, the club head continues down and makes contact with the ground, producing the divot.

Mar 14, 2011
Silicon Valley, CA
On teed shots they do not, or not suppose to. lol On irons or fairway woods, the club head comes in contact with the ball 1st. Once contact is made, the club head continues down and makes contact with the ground, producing the divot.

ah thanks shows how much i know about golfing

Nov 1, 2008
Ok, the season is now over and she's had a week or two to rest so we started working on hitting a couple days ago. We talked about her using her hips and i showed her the video of herself so she could see exactly what all of you had pointed out. I showed her the clips and pictures of Pujols. She clearly understood the differences. We talked about adjusting the height of her hands but it was uncomfortable to her at this point so that's something we'll continue to work on. I made some videos of her hitting off the tee 2 days ago. The only "drill" we've done is holding the bat across her hips, loading, and turning her hips to "hit" the ball off the tee. FFS, there is a drill you posted on the first page that is set to private so i can't view it.

Thursday night and Friday night we did quite a bit of tee work. We then moved into some front toss on the field. This is where the excitement REALLY began. Thursday night she did pretty well, hitting a lot of line drives deep on the grass. Including one that landed about 40 feet from the fence. Friday afternoon she was ready to go the field as soon as i got home from work. She did some tee work in the cage while i was working the concession stand and cooking hamburgers for a baseball game. Once i was done with that, we again did some front toss. She hit several deep to within 20 feet of the fence including 2 that hit the fence on one hop. Now she's REALLY, REALLY excited. She already asked what time this afternoon we're going to the field.

These videos were made Thursday night. In the video with the tee set low, you can see that she really struggled. I think i see improvement on adding hip rotation but what do y'all think? What specifically should we be working on at this point? I know it will take thousands of swings to get it right, but i wanted to make sure we aren't heading in the wrong direction.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U8vE9HuTas4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tlAbHq-PwZM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/X5jJy1wE50Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>