12u hotel stays

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2011
Bucket
Just want opinions here. My dd is currently on a team of mostly 11u girls. The team wants the girls to stay in hotel rooms together, 4 to a room, at away tournaments. There would be no parent in the room just a hall type monitor. I personally feel that if we travel to a tournament we are there to play softball not have a slumber party. Also, I don't feel at this age the girls are capable of making good decisions such as not opening the door at 2am to see what the noise in the hall is. Does anyone else have any insight to girls rooming together at this age. I understand at older ages it promotes bonding.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD always stayed with me. There was no reason not to. I like the way that you are thinking. It only takes one bad decision to ruin it for everyone.

Feb 3, 2011
I would not be ok with this arrangement. If the girls would like to have some 'parent-free' time for a couple of hours in the evening after dinner, I'd have no problem with them retreating to a designated room for that, but curfew is still 9pm.

At 12u, if my daughter's mom or I am unable to make the trip, then she's not going either. We would, however, be willing to allow a teammate to bunk with Mojo if she had no guardian in attendance. We aren't so strict that we feel that the rules for our daughter must apply to everyone else on the team, but we would enforce the coach's curfew/quiet hours for both girls.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
12U players 4-to-a-room will turn into a "sleep-over"; which means no sleep. Why spend the $$ to go to a tournament if this is what's going to happen; rent a few hotel rooms for a on a non-tournamnet weekend and let them do this for the night with chaparones on the same floor.....it's a great bonding exercise.

DD could go with another team mate if WW & I could could not go, provided the team mates parent was attending and sleeping in the room. We also hosted aplayer one weekend as her folks couldn't come.

Jan 15, 2009
Midwest
NO! They will spend enough time together as it is. At 12U you will end up with much more drama than called for. Just make sure that players are never ever wondering the halls alone. They must travel in at least pairs everywhere!

Jul 26, 2010
I don't like it, I agree, they are there to play softball, not to socialize.

I never allowed this on the 12u teams I've coached, but it never really came up. Occasionally we'd travel to places where a few families getting together to rent a condo or cabin made more sense then individual rooms, but there were always multiple families and parents, and while the kids did have a great time and "goof off" more then they would have if they were in separate hotel rooms, it was at the grace of the parents present and I've no regrets about the memories the girls made at those tournaments.

-W

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In fact, I remember a night at Pony League nationals where some Bozo had a key and got the door open as far as the slide lock would allow it. Could you imagine if that would happen to 4 11 YOs?

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
Usually when we play tournaments that require the entire team to spend the night in hotels such as nationals, the players stay in the rooms with their parents. However, to give everyone "time off," HC, me and the other AC usually have activities planned for the girls in the evening such as an ice cream party at the local DQ or we'll take them to a movie. The kids get to have some fun together off the field and the parents get to head to the local bar or hang out in their room alone for a few hours to unwind if they wish. It's amazing how much team unity is built this way both between the players and the ,parents as well.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1