First week of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Completely agree. Two coaches not three for us.

Low grades and shenanigans go hand in hand and shenanigans wont do, lol

I‘ll take it one step farther, dd who is currently playing has a coach that is trying to teach the players about personal finances. Books left in their lockers, mini talks about money and invited speakers.

She is also pretty concerned that kids don’t leave school with insurmountable debt.

I have never really believed that college *softball* coaches that don’t win get fired. Usually they get canned because of other screw ups, and usually they deserve it.

Glad to hear this. I've heard many stories about coaches wining at all costs. Glad they're not all like that.

Josh Greer

DFP Vendor
Jul 31, 2013
Central Missouri
I'm too lazy to read through all of the great comments. But I asked my kid her thoughts. She's simple like me. She says: Eat, sleep, and manage your time. Athletic students are working 2 full time jobs. Free time is for off season.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I'm too lazy to read through all of the great comments. But I asked my kid her thoughts. She's simple like me. She says: Eat, sleep, and manage your time. Athletic students are working 2 full time jobs. Free time is for off season.
DD is actually working remote 15-20 hrs a week for her possible after grad employer. She is only taking 12 hours and doing softball activities as well. I hope she can manage it all.

Apr 23, 2014
East Jabib
DD would leave for high school (45 min drive from home) at 6:30 am and most days wouldn’t step foot back home until 7-8 pm. 7 hour school day, 1 1/2 hr team workout (off-season) or game (in season) daily, then 1 hour lift 3x per week. So far college and her softball schedule has been a nice change of pace for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017
I wonder how many parents posting in this thread were actually real college athletes..not intramural or Greek week athletes Just curious is all not asking for a number. Not meant as an insult to those that were not. It is not described as "fun" very often by those who were.

Jun 8, 2016
I wonder how many parents posting in this thread were actually real college athletes..not intramural or Greek week athletes Just curious is all not asking for a number. Not meant as an insult to those that were not. It is not described as "fun" very often by those who were.
Is this like me not being able to complain about back pain to my wife because I never gave birth to a child without any meds??

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I played Real College Rugby. We played every weekend and traveled all over the place. We paid for everything out of own pockets. The team paid for 2 hotel rooms and the whole team slept wherever there was space. We practiced 2-3 nights a week. Lifted on our own. We conditioned during practice. I was in the best shape of my life. We also had the best parties with our opponents. Tradition was to get 2 kegs...to start with. We were often on some type of probation with the school.

Nowadays, the alumni provide scholarships and the team takes things very serious. And these guys are bad rear athletes. Stronger, faster and smarter.

Jan 28, 2017
Talked with a really good JUCO pitcher's dad. 6 days a week 2:30 hours a day plus lifting at 6 am each day. I assume study hall but didn't ask.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
I’ll just repeat, the it’s not “fun” (scare quotes!!!!) people…I am not with you.

Or, if it wasn’t fun, you weren’t doing it right.

And I’m not just talking from a diamond sport perspective (though I personally can’t imagine anything more fun) - but my soccer, swim, football, wrestling and track friends and family concur.

Mar 8, 2016
DD said college softball is fun but there are times and parts that are not fun. I thought this was a pretty good, honest observation and not that different from many aspects of life.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RunnerOn2