First week of college practice

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Something else to think about: I've seen quite a few athletes from our HS go play college ball (VB, BB, SB, ...). Ignoring those who really weren't good enough, most make it to college and do one year, very few of them make it past 1 year, and very very few make it past 2. For most, they like the idea of being a college athlete, but not the effort, process, and sacrifices it actually takes to be one. Limited time off, demanding schedule, eating right, limited drinking/parties are all sacrifices that a competitive athlete accepts.
And honestly. Many it’s their parents who like the idea of a dd who plays college. Once the kid is out of the house and figures out it’s her decision. Things change.

Jun 22, 2019
I wonder how many parents posting in this thread were actually real college athletes..not intramural or Greek week athletes Just curious is all not asking for a number. Not meant as an insult to those that were not. It is not described as "fun" very often by those who were.
I played college football. I play intramural softball and basketball, but played football for the college.

it was fun at times, but was hard. With that said, I would never trade the time I had and lessons I learned for the non-athlete college experience.

Dec 11, 2010
It's tough. If they don't win, they get fired. So they do what they can to win. They don't (seem to) care much about the kid's education, other than not flunking out.
idk…

Stolen from one of the dopey sb sites:

Bellarmine has hired Caitlyn de la Haba as the program’s new head coach.

De la Haba was most recently the head coach at Lafayette College for five seasons before resigning that post in late summer. At the time of her hiring at LC, she was the youngest Division 1 head coach in the nation.

During her tenure at Lafayette, de la Haba posted a 27-151-1 overall record, including a 7-65 showing in Patriot League play. The 2022 season was the Leopards’ best under her shepherding, as the program reached double-digit wins for the first time and matched the win total of their previous three seasons combined.

The win or be fired thing is oft repeated but when you look at softball coaches who get canned there are usually other problems.

Jun 22, 2019
The girls played their first spring games and they played well. One girl pitched 2 scoreless innings and went 0 for 2 at the plate, but made solid contact…just right at someone. The other went 2 for 3 with two balls off the fence. She was absolutely killing the ball, just needs to get the launch angle right and they would have been gone.

They didn’t play as much as they would have liked, but they seemed motivated rather than overwhelmed. Seems to be a good sign that they are settling in.

Aug 27, 2019
Lakewood CA.
The girls played their first spring games and they played well. One girl pitched 2 scoreless innings and went 0 for 2 at the plate, but made solid contact…just right at someone. The other went 2 for 3 with two balls off the fence. She was absolutely killing the ball, just needs to get the launch angle right and they would have been gone.

They didn’t play as much as they would have liked, but they seemed motivated rather than overwhelmed. Seems to be a good sign that they are settling in.

Little early for spring games ain’t it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 27, 2022
I wonder how many parents posting in this thread were actually real college athletes..not intramural or Greek week athletes Just curious is all not asking for a number. Not meant as an insult to those that were not. It is not described as "fun" very often by those who were.

I'll admit it, I was not. I was a HS athlete and some rec. But, my daughter is and we have a great relationship so I share what I see/hear from her. And my personal experiences as a parent/family going through the emotions and process of the journey.

But, what I hear and see from my daughter is her dedication and sacrifice (although she is a simple girl that probably wouldn't be partying anyway) that she has made to be good at her craft. She has spent the last 4 months working/studying, lifting, running, and working out. Practice started this week and she simply loved getting back on the field in good shape to really enjoyed practice with her team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478