10u Rec Lineup Philosophy?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
My rec league philosophy:

1) First player to show up for the game.
2) 2nd player to show up.
3) 3rd player to show up.
etc.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Stephanie...that is what you might think...but it didn't work out that way.

I had several kids (i.e., parents) showing up 5 minutes before the game started, and it was causing confusion. So, I announced that the batting order starting next game would be based upon when the players got to the field. There were 4 kids waiting on me when I got to the field.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Ray, I can definitely see how this would work in your advantage. With rec ball, we do something similar. We have a lineup, but we don't turn it in until about 15 minutes before the game. If you aren't there when I sit down to write the lineup, then you are tacked onto the bottom--I don't care who you are! I ask the girls to be there an hour early in order so they'll actually get there thirty minutes early. Not all girls were like me, at that age I was the first one there. Now, at 17, I'm still the first one there. Rec ball games--Friday and Sundays are the best examples. I'm often late to Fridays because of my school ball schedule. Sundays--10U plays at 2. I ask them to be there at 1. I show up around 1, they play at 2, 13U plays at 3:30--I help with them too, 16U (my team) plays at 5. Of course, all of this gets delayed. I am always the last to leave, picking up trash, concession stand work if it is a home game, etc.

May 2, 2010
In my experience ~ you'll have the best results (translation - scoring) if you disburse your weaker hitters throughout your lineup. Especially at the 10U level, your stronger hitters can compensate for a weak hitter here and there. If you put all your weak hitters together you're sunk..... they'll generally account for all 3 of your outs without scoring anything. This is especially disasterous in later innings.

Oct 12, 2009
In my experience ~ you'll have the best results (translation - scoring) if you disburse your weaker hitters throughout your lineup. Especially at the 10U level, your stronger hitters can compensate for a weak hitter here and there. If you put all your weak hitters together you're sunk..... they'll generally account for all 3 of your outs without scoring anything. This is especially disasterous in later innings.

I rate players on On Base Percentage and do my line-up accordingly.

In a lot of cases my worst hitters were still good at drawing walks and getting on base, so they batted near the top of the line-up.

Doing things based on OBP also made it easier to answer questions like, "Why is my son/daughter batting there?" It also gave weaker hitters and incentive to develop their eyes and strike zone awareness, which tended to improve their hitting.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Use linear regression, compute the mean time between OBEs (on base events), create histograms for each player, and then correlate their OBEs with the other players. Develop a ranked hierarchy of players, which you can then use to determine your lineup.

Or draw names out of a hat.

It all works the same.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Maybe, I am not catching the feelings going on with rec girls, but with everyone bats, I have never noticed that any girl had hurt feelings about being late in the lineup. The girls know who hits good and who doesn't, and if they aren't getting hits, is it going to make them feel better by striking out, but being at the top of the line up? I have 3-4 good hitters, 2 which have each put two balls over the fence (at 10u!). I think the whole team would be in the dumps if they are getting left on base everytime they get a hit. We have standings, tournaments, and trophies in our rec league, I translate that as winning is a good thing.

Oct 12, 2009
Use linear regression, compute the mean time between OBEs (on base events), create histograms for each player, and then correlate their OBEs with the other players. Develop a ranked hierarchy of players, which you can then use to determine your lineup.

I just count up who got on base how many times last game, make some tweaks for power and lefty/righty and go from there.

Takes about 5 minutes.

Jul 17, 2008
Southern California
Maybe, I am not catching the feelings going on with rec girls, but with everyone bats, I have never noticed that any girl had hurt feelings about being late in the lineup. The girls know who hits good and who doesn't, and if they aren't getting hits, is it going to make them feel better by striking out, but being at the top of the line up? I have 3-4 good hitters, 2 which have each put two balls over the fence (at 10u!). I think the whole team would be in the dumps if they are getting left on base everytime they get a hit. We have standings, tournaments, and trophies in our rec league, I translate that as winning is a good thing.

Exactly, Thats why I use their OBP. Every game I write their latest OBP next to their name and I explain to them that the more they get on base the higher that number will be. They also understand that they can get on by walking, hitting or even HBP.
When I coach first base and the girls that make in down to first turn to me and ask is this going to bring my numbers up?, I know it's working. They compete with each other to get on base.
Even though it's rec ball, it's still a competitive sport, and as such, I want my team to learn how to compete amongst themselves and the opposing team.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck