00 DD one year later....comments welcome

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2011
Well thanks to the input from many here on this learned forum plus some hard work, DD is starting to resemble a pitcher. Please let me know what you see.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Jillsdad,

First let me say some things about your daughter. She looks pretty good. Also, she looks like a reasonably athletic girl. Her hands are working well during her pushoff. Her glove does not swim very much. It definitely does not affect her front shoulder.

But, there is more in there!
1) Most basic is she is not stepping on her power line. She looks to be stepping about 3-4 inches to the left. I would suggest a string on big nail spikes driven into the ground, either just beyond the front foot stide, or behind the rubber, through the pushoff toe, to each corner of the plate.
2) Her hand is slightly going over her head at the top, there is a deflection in the circle of about 8-12".
3) She is ending in an appropriate figure "4" at the end of her motion. However, she is lifting the back leg up and forward to get into that position. The legs should be coming together powerfully, without that lift and tuck against the front leg. This probably cuts about 3mph off her speed. She can do walk through drills, getting 3 steps behind the rubber and walking up until almost running on that final step before pushoff, then feeling the legs coming together powerfully. The speed doing this is almost what she can expect when this is corrected. Also, she can do a one leg balance drill, standing on her right leg only, and then driving off the rubber. She can also do plyometrics drills, isolating her leg explosiveness.
4) Her hand is rotating backward very early. She then is pushing the ball, instead of whipping her arm, all the way from 10o'clock, to release. This hurts her speed. Her hand should be facing the 3rd base dugout at 10o'clock, and turning toward the target at about 07:30 to 07:00 on the clock face. This will allow the forearm to whip the ball, which is much faster than a push. See below!

Additional drill: There is a useful drill you can do, but it will have to be inside more than likely. Your DD stands a few inched away from a wall with her pitching hand at 12:00. She places the ball against the wall, palm facing the wall. She then strides toward the catcher, trying to keep the ball against the wall for a natural period of time. This will force her hand to stay facing the wall, keep her arm from passing over her head as shown, and also allow her elbow to pull into her side for a normal internal rotation (IR) and whip.

The catcher is positioned about 4-6 feet from the wall at a normal or near normal distance.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2011
Steve I am not sure if she tends to step to the left of the power line - i'll take a closer look. I do know she land with her right foot at 90 instead of 45 degrees and I think this is not good.

Regarding 2,3 and 4, I see exactly what you are saying. Thanks.

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Steve I am not sure if she tends to step to the left of the power line - i'll take a closer look. I do know she land with her right foot at 90 instead of 45 degrees and I think this is not good.

Regarding 2,3 and 4, I see exactly what you are saying. Thanks.

Well it looked almost like 90 degrees. I saw it and forgot it. I thought it looked like 70 degrees or so. However, it is tough on the ankle because the foot flex acts like a shock absorber.

Last edited:
Jul 14, 2008
The mis-directed arm circle is causing way to much arm rotation prior to the I/R sequence........She passes right through the "show it" position in the mis-directed circle, then rotates her arm in 2 directions from there........First to palm down, then palm back up......Her arm circle is "messy" at best......

30kyiie.gif

Her posture and timing are also an issue, but I'd fix the circle and I/R sequence first and see where that takes her......

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
The mis-directed arm circle is causing way to much arm rotation prior to the I/R sequence........She passes right through the "show it" position in the mis-directed circle, then rotates her arm in 2 directions from there........First to palm down, then palm back up......Her arm circle is "messy" at best......

30kyiie.gif

Her posture and timing are also an issue, but I'd fix the circle and I/R sequence first and see where that takes her......

I worked on that first video long enough to finally get it to stop at 00:03 seconds. You are right about this second hand position. In fact the first palm down position prevents her from getting into a proper IR arm position because her arm is so busy. I am curious what software you use. I am going to amend my previous post to include another drill.

Apr 13, 2011
Thanks again for the replies. I see now that she is getting very little whip and her circle is way off. She is muscling the ball to the plate.

Steve - question about the drill you recommend. What position are her feet in to start the drill?

Aug 29, 2011
Dallas, TX
Thanks again for the replies. I see now that she is getting very little whip and her circle is way off. She is muscling the ball to the plate.

Steve - question about the drill you recommend. What position are her feet in to start the drill?

Well obviously she is going to be standing sideways with the ball just above her right shoulder. Her feet will be together so she can stride and come to the figure 4 position. Good luck. She is athletic enough to do it. By the end of the summer she should be making demo videos :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck