Can someone explain the SnF and 45 degree SnF drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 25, 2009
No one is "camping" certainly not Ffs and the the older dude. That is just it, I am tired of posters wrong advice just to try to play a junior high game. If you really want to learn about SNF great! I truly believe in it and believe the snf drill is a great first step to learning and feeling it. If you haven't spend the time reading the advice that Knight's dd got, it is worth it.

Now SL's video shows his daughter stretching between her shoulders and her hips. Now the snf drill is all about learning to coil or stretch between your rear leg and your rear hip, in the rear hip socket. If you do not resist the hips firing there is no point in stretching or coiling. If you fire your hips, you have lost any advantage of stretching....you are stretching and un stretching or coiling then uncoiling the hip. No point to it.

Is there any point at which you uncoil during the entire swing? The cues drive the hip and fire the hip can mean the same or different things to different players. I'm not talking about hip spin or just turning open, which is wrong.

May 23, 2012
Eastlake, OH
Now SL's video shows his daughter stretching between her shoulders and her hips. Now the snf drill is all about learning to coil or stretch between your rear leg and your rear hip, in the rear hip socket.

I don't golf and I only recently became aware of the old Donny Buster slideshow. It does have a focus on the separation of upper and lower, hip and shoulder, to create this X Factor/ X factor stretch / stretch and fire. This isn't a challenge, just an inquiry; open to you or any of the longtime internet hitting guys. Was the information presented in the slideshow an incomplete understanding? Incorrect? Is the shoulder/hip separation a part of SnF at all?

Oct 25, 2009
I don't golf and I only recently became aware of the old Donny Buster slideshow. It does have a focus on the separation of upper and lower, hip and shoulder, to create this X Factor/ X factor stretch / stretch and fire. This isn't a challenge, just an inquiry; open to you or any of the longtime internet hitting guys. Was the information presented in the slideshow an incomplete understanding? Incorrect? Is the shoulder/hip separation a part of SnF at all?

That's my mental image of the stretch and fire. I'm wondering if they're two different things. I may be missing something.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
I think that there ARE TWO, different from each other, versions of stretch and fire.

Before I posted anywhere, or ever heard of HI, and his version of stretch and fire, I found Donny busters pdf of stretch and fire.

Straightlegs got it right if you follow Howard or Donny's version.

I had the girls practice this method, but so far not HI's.

Knight dd did improve, but I saw improvement from other stuff not just sNF, HI version.

http://www.slideshare.net/FiveFrameSwing/donny-busters-total-presentation

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
SL, yesterday you said on bbd .

Now today you are instructing dads on stretch and fire...in which the hip must resist firing. You can not both fire the hip and resist firing the hip.
Now I can care less if you want to bust Rich's ba___s, but leave people trying to help their kids out of it. Your daughter is not stretch and firing correctly. Not her fault. She is stretching above her hips, your HAVE to stretch between the rear hip and rear leg.
----your welcome.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I think that there ARE TWO, different from each other, versions of stretch and fire.

Before I posted anywhere, or ever heard of HI, and his version of stretch and fire, I found Donny busters pdf of stretch and fire.

I had the girls practice this method, but so far not HI's.

Knight dd did improve, but I saw improvement from other stuff not just sNF, HI version.

Donny Buster's "Total Presentation"

Hmmm .... listen to Justin Stone's recent lingo in his teachings. Seems he's reached a different conclusion in terms of who got it right.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009

I never have heard Howard say anything about stretch and fire. Someone before making a youtube pm'd Ray, RDB, etc asking how to do it. According to a few of the long timers, Donny passed away before anything between the leg and rear hip socket was realized.

Dec 11, 2010
I will read the Knightsb thread.

FFS as a bucket dad neither of the videos helped me understand. I will revisit them after I read the other thread.

I have a heck of a time with all the theoretical bio mechanical tech speak. I do a lot better with "do this drill, here is how to do it, here is what the hitter should feel."

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I posted this gif on the 1st page of this thread. For the record this is the ATTACK OPPOSITE DRILL Bustos is not doing the snf.
BustosOutFrom1.gif

At the first pause right before Bustos swings is the Stretch. When she swings that is the fire. This is the SNF 'feeling' you are trying to get. I didn't post anything from the other source because that seems to be when the problems seem to start. If I was you I would study the position of both. I as a dad would try and get into these position and swing a bat and feel the SNF.
BustosOutFrom1.gif

This was posted by FFS::Now take what you see above ... remove the plate ... and rotate everything 45-degrees. Hit line-drives to the back of the cage. Now remove the tee, maintain the 45-degree orientation, and have someone throw front-toss to you while you drive the ball back up the middle of the cage. Then repeat with the pitching machine set to normal pitching speed. Have fun!
I hope this helps you?

Dec 11, 2010
This was posted by FFS::Now take what you see above ... remove the plate ... and rotate everything 45-degrees. Hit line-drives to the back of the cage. Now remove the tee, maintain the 45-degree orientation, and have someone throw front-toss to you while you drive the ball back up the middle of the cage. Then repeat with the pitching machine set to normal pitching speed. Have fun!
I hope this helps you?[/QUOTE]

Yes- this is what I want to set up. I think I understand but if I could see a pic or video of it being done I would know I set it up right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red