First Hitting Lesson of the Summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
any articles, diagrams, or detailed explantionas of the "hands first -hands last" que?
I'll try but many of the cues I use are ones I created to explain things to my hitters. I've posted many of them here before and many disagree or don't like them. Keep that in mind. For my dd and my players, I used Pujols as the model. I have to give somewhat of a history of how I came to these cues.

BBallscout, Doug McMillen Sr. used to talk about things like tip and rip. Some movement of the hands started right before the load and ruing the load. Some others wanted to use terms like pulling the bow back. I use both to teach hitting. Albert, in the first frame, doesn't really pull the bow back but he does tip and rip. So, "hands first." If you follow the sequence, his hips have started to rotate but his hands are still riding connection in frame 2. Notice that on Albert's backside, his toe is starting to come off of the ground but his hands are still in connection. This is where I use the merry-go-round analogy. Some here don't like it. When I was a kid, we had merry-go-rounds. If that merry-go-round was turning, you could jump on it and you would say on it for a very brief period of time and then, you would be thrown off. That is what is happening as the swing flows into frame 3. The hands are the last to go. So, hands first, hands last.

I have been around these sites since they first began. I was so lucky to get to talk hitting with guys who are now kind of famous. I learned a lot. The problem with me making a thread like this is that it might not make sense to anyone. I don't think many use the terms we all once used.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Shawn, I don't remember when you got into all of this hitting stuff. Were you around for BBallscout? I don't know if it is allowed to mention the sites he was on then. Anyway, if you were, you might remember that he mentioned that the tip and rip was a way for the hands to get a running start.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Cannonball,

Englishbey once went to a game with Manny and Griffey playing. He said it looked like they were ready to do damage way before the swing. It’s what Richard calls being ready to swing at release.

I think the hands should be ready. If anything for the feel of readiness. It’s not just the hands.

Aug 20, 2017
The tip gives the feel of loading the hands. This should allow the hitter to unload the hands with quickness

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You create angular displacement/momentum so you can speed the bat up faster. A ‘running start’. Not for everyone, but it helps some. That’s where Barry and Jr. are very different. Kinda interesting, but not really. not sure lol.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Cannonball,

Englishbey once went to a game with Manny and Griffey playing. He said it looked like they were ready to do damage way before the swing. It’s what Richard calls being ready to swing at release.

I think the hands should be ready. If anything for the feel of readiness. It’s not just the hands.
Oh, I agree that it isn't just the hands. I use what makes sense to me and what I hope makes sense to my hitters. I don't doubt that what I do is not for everyone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles