Can someone explain the SnF and 45 degree SnF drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Search youtube for SNF drill. It answered my questions.

I would rather not post a link for various reasons.

The video that the above clip is from is outstanding btw. Both of dd's benefitted from it.

When you search youtube, snf drill or spell it out it brings up my daughter and swingbuilder as who to learn it from.
I bet that chap's some as#...:D

SL

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2011
I'm not, nor have I ever been a ball player. So take this video of me with a healthy grain of 'Na'.

[video=youtube_share;joWrL76QmR0]http://youtu.be/joWrL76QmR0[/video]

I had my DD take this vid so that I could understand the drill and the mechanics. It might be hard to discern the correct angle, but I am set up 90° to and just behind the plate/tee. So this is a 90° SnF stance. From my understanding, from reading this site, I allowed myself to pivot on my feet, but did not raise them from the ground. I also kept my rotation over the hip/leg closest to the tee. Not sure if this is correct, but it felt right. I apparently felt the stretch enough in this position, that I didn't create much of a load before I swung away (getting older and brittle, don't-you-know). I was also not sure what I was doing and was just trying not to whiff the ball. I'll make sure to 'load' more in future drills.

So go ahead people in the know...use this to offer advice and critique away to pinpoint the requirements for an ideal SnF. Like the OP, I'd like more info.

For the video geeks, I shot this from my iPhone4 using the SloPro app.

For the bat geeks, I'm using my DD's 30" -11 Louisville Slugger 'TPS' from "Play it Again Sports". A new 31" -10 bat has just arrived, waiting to be broken in.

Thanks,
Adam

P.S. wearing a red shirt in honor of "Cardinal" nation!

Last edited:

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Adman, You get respect for the fact that you are trying this drill yourself and learning by swinging a bat. kudos!!!
Because you haven't played ball before actually works in your favor meaning it should be easier for you to learn as you have no previous teaching to get in the way of forward progress. That being said........ Get ready to do things that will feel unnatural. You are using your left side too much. Look at your left foot... It is heavily weighted throughout your swing, it shouldn't be. When done correctly your left foot will be off the ground for the entire swing. Look at your how your hands pull the knob of the bat through the ball, your hands/forearms (not your shoulders) should turn the barrel behind you.
Good luck keep working on it...

Attachments

• StretchFire1.jpg
    StretchFire1.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 176
  • StretchFire2.jpg
    StretchFire2.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 196
Aug 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice Tommy.

(bolded mine)
When done correctly your left foot will be off the ground for the entire swing. Look at your how your hands pull the knob of the bat through the ball, your hands/forearms (not your shoulders) should turn the barrel behind you.
Good luck keep working on it...

So for the sake of the SnF drill, it's okay to lift my left foot (for a right-hander)? Is that how it's commonly taught or is your suggestion a variation? I noticed in this video, both feet are kept on the ground, which I thought aided in the "Stretch".

The more I played with it (not shown in my video), the more I came up on my toes (if keeping both feet down), similar to this.

Moving on to 45° SnF...same concept, just a new angle? Should the left foot come off the ground or stay down and remain light?

Appreciate the help.

Adam

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
StretchFire2.gif

Copy this.

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS
Lightly weighted is fine. Just think of your left foot as something that is only there to keep you from falling down. The reason I said totally off the ground is that will force you to focus on the right hip action and not rely on the left leg for leverage. Good luck. The video above is what you should use as a benchmark.

As you get to 45 the left foot will be weighted more than the 90 but.... remember, the idea is to get the rear hip working while the barrel works behind. Basically you are separating the lower(hip down) from the upper(everything above the hip) so can feel a STRETCH and you can FIRE the barrel rearward. The more weight the front foot holds the more active the front hip will be and that is counterproductive to this drill. check out the thread on the Ragin' Cajuns if you haven't already. They go up to bat using the 45 degree drill.

http://www.discussfastpitch.com/sof...e-any-comments-their-hitters-mechanics-3.html

Last edited:

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Thank you for all the excellent responses!
Now I must ask- what is the point of this drill? Does it demonstrate how to use the core correctly in the swing or is it something else?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBSoftballDad619