Can someone explain the SnF and 45 degree SnF drills?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
The 45-degree drill is one of my favorite drills.

2ijhxud.gif

Did Ted Williams do this drill? Barry Bonds? Cabrera? Hamilton? Fielder? Manny?

Decades of MLB, please if they use this drill in MLB I will start using it.
Does TEWKS use it?

where did this drill originate?
The first I ever saw this drill is HI.

BrndnStretchnFireFront.gif

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR

I don't know if they used the 45-degree drill. Do you know? Do you know that they didn't use the drill?

More importantly from your vantage point ... have "you" done the drill? Do you know the multiple feel points to extract from a lower body perspective? Do you know the multiple upper body feel points to extract?

Many times, when I go into the cages, after performing a dry swing warm-up sequence, this is my only drill prior to taking BP. It's a great drill ... but like all drills, it helps to know what you're trying to accomplish.

Why should I care?

Does TEWKS use it?

Again, why should I care?

You are asking the wrong questions. You are ignorant of the drill and not seeking an understanding of it. You haven't done your homework. You lack an understanding of the usefulness of the drill, and instead look for a vote ... almost as if you thought that by doing the drill that goodness would rain in. You don't attempt to understand the drill ... and therefore you might as well keep your distance from the drill.

I did not get the 45-degree drill from HI. I first got the drill from a hitting instructor in Minnesota ... quite some time ago. In discussions with others I've found that the drill is used all over the country. I recall a phone conversation with TDS years ago in which he described using this drill ... and TDS described further clarity on why I was observing the positive effects that I was seeing with my hitters when doing this drill. I recall Howard describing a variant of the drill in a progression sequence. It's a widely known drill ... a drill that I've discussed with other hitting instructors across the country for several years. If you don't like it ... or understand it ... then that's not my issue. It's one of my top drills that I use routinely.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2009

Does TEWKS use it?

where did this drill originate?

BrndnStretchnFireFront.gif

To me, the challenging thing about understanding and teaching the swing (and I think this is true of pitching and throwing too) is that two swings can look (ie in video) very similar but have completely different under-the-hood actions and feelings.

Whether or not you "like" or "believe in" the stretch and fire drill, it is a very useful attempt to 1) look at video, 2) (and most importantly) try to reverse engineer and understand what is happening in high-level swings at an "engine" level, and 3) build a drill that puts the hitter in the position to feel those engine actions for themselves.

Most hitters (and especially young female hitters) won't feel those actions without some help. Great MLB hitters optimize their swing themselves over several decades. They reach failure points -- such as moving to a bigger field or using wooden bats or facing MUCH tougher pitching and experiment with their swing to achieve their goals, such as hitting .300 or driving home runs. If they fail to reach those goals, they are forced to stop playing. They get weeded out. You see high-level swings at the highest levels because if they didn't "find" those swings they wouldn't be playing at that high level.

Any drill that can help a hitter speed up the *experiment and discover* process is worthwhile, even if it gets discarded at some point for something new or next or better. Try and discard is valuable; try and use even more so. Not try at all doesn't seem productive at all.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDBass ... just an FYI ... my description above in responding to Mann was about the "45-degree drill", not the "SnF drill". For reasons I've explained earlier I perform the SnF drill much less often ... it's a very high maintenance drill, whereas the 45-degree drill is low maintenance and allows the full extraction of what I'm after.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FFS,
I understand what you were commenting on (45-degree-drill). I just happen to find these examples of different style SNF drills. Seeing if one of the gifs may click with anyone that is interested.
My comment of "I hope doesn't cause a problem'' was more for the possible virus problem with HI related stuff.

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
FFS,
Did you get a chance to check out Hitting rebellion article on softball hitting. Looks like something thats been posted before?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red