Amazing what can be accomplished when we get the opportunity to try!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
Share this recent story of a 12-year-old.

Last Little League season I did a series of defensive skills building clinics for a group of little league players. And followed a few of the teams in the league. This player I will call her GenV,
Stood out as effort with a smile! She was a player for the past two little league Seasons the coach would put in right field. As I watched games being played, saw her out there always in a ready position. Trying to do her best. Always hustling! The type of player you hope as a coach you get to work with!

As it turns out, a couple months after the seasons and clinics were over,
her family reached out to do private lessons. They said our daughter loves softball. She needs to learn how to catch and throw better and we would like to do hitting. Over the phone I could not remember who this player the parents were speaking of was. And when they showed up I was so excited. Because I knew our personalities would be a great match and I know her softball experience would grow.

As we started with very raw basic introductory mechanics we built upon them and her effort and smile persevered. During her first throwing lesson she was experiencing Improvement and the smile got bigger. Then we started working on catching the ball and using her body correctly to be efficient. I had her wear her batting helmet when we learned to catch the ball for safety. It helped her be more comfortable. She learned and confidence grew! We started with a basic hitting explanation which she took on her first lesson like a champ and boom crush rip experienced what it felt like to have power in your bat hitting the ball. 🙂 She took the drills and worked on them on her own. ( now on her new Little League team she is able to hit the ball at practice, throw level, and catch with more confidence)

After three sessions of learning to catch the ball and Agility work. And mind you that's not being a catcher that's just catching the ball defensively. I said to her would you like to try something that's fun but it's going to be hard? And she said yes!

I showed her how to get into the athletic catching Crouch I teach. She did it splendidly! And I went to the bucket of balls and I pitched five pitches at her of which she caught all of them and held her strength and balance in her Crouch. As she was booming with enjoyment I asked her so what do you think of that catching moment? And she replied I've always wanted to try catching it looked fun but I never got the chance. I shared with her you have that chance here with me and if you want to develop talk to your parents!

Hooray!! The parents have been paying attention to the lessons and have been watching their daughter become athletic ! When she talked to her parents they said we want try catching! Sooo did an hour of catching! Because she was just figuring out if she really wanted to do catching, went through segments of what the catching responsibilities are with shorter teaching segments to explain what the tasks are going to be like. She took it on like a champ! Parents see her development showing. I see the happiness on their faces.
The next week her parents said we want to do catching! And so we began this journey to learn to be a catcher.

She is already performing with strength and balance in her athletic catching Crouch. Able to receive pitches and learning her agility and footwork as a defensive player behind the plate!

This season she is on a different team with a different coach who is giving her the opportunity to play first base and get behind the plate.
Thank you coach!
Imagine this is a young lady who does not yet have her own catching gear! But as she showed up to her little league practice and told the coach she wants to be a catcher amazingly the coach had an extra set of catching equipment!

GO DO IT GenV You got this!!!

IMG_0069(1).jpg

Inspires me 👍💪🫀

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2019
I love it! I'm also in the process of turning an overlooked right fielder who never had the chance into a catcher. I love taking the girls that others just glance over and turn them into real players. So rewarding!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles