First Hitting Lesson of the Summer

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I’m sorry. I didn’t mean that towards you at all CB.
I know but that IS the kind of response I get. That is ok for me because my hitters seem to get it. That is also why I ask parents to attend lessons. I do think it is tricky talking hitting because so many people take some other person's stuff, change the verbiage and claim it as their own. That is why I try to mention people who influenced me and give them credit. I'm not smart enough to be original.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I know but that IS the kind of response I get. That is ok for me because my hitters seem to get it. That is also why I ask parents to attend lessons. I do think it is tricky talking hitting because so many people take some other person's stuff, change the verbiage and claim it as their own. That is why I try to mention people who influenced me and give them credit. I'm not smart enough to be original.

That must be from back in the day. Nowadays most folks use anatomical terms and leave less grey area. Maybe they describe what you learned but are mostly saying it in a way so there’s a reason ‘why’ and a ‘how to’ approach to it. Not so much ‘stealing’ or repacking. When I would read old threads, explanations were weak and no proof was given most of the time.

Edit: but I’ve e only been at this for 15 years. Not half the amount of some.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The tip gives the feel of loading the hands. This should allow the hitter to unload the hands with quickness

I have seen hitters tip more and then not tip to much at different times in their career.

A long time ago there was a study done on hitting. They referenced the barrel, upper body started moving clockwise first and then started moving, changing direction.

I like this tip. He didn’t always do it.

giphy.gif

I like how he takes a position of the barrel and top hand, then tips to good starting position.

Looks like a good drill. I’m making this video a new drill.

The back is involved, not just the arm and top hand.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
giphy.gif

Same thing start with the barrel pointing toward the dugout then tip it into the launch position. Perhaps making it the twin to a high knee leg or an open stance. Hank called it a hitch.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The tip is to the upper body timing that the knee lift, toe tap and open stance is to the lower body timing.

Lower body,

Everything takes you to the same place. The launch position.

Check out that blurring rearward of the barrel.

Foot down my buttocks.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles