Why do tournament directors do this ?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
Why is it that tournament directors think its a good idea to have the teams who played until 9:30 or 10:00 at night on day one then need come back and play at 8AM the next day ?Seriously , who can play 3 or 4 games in one day , come back after getting 6 hours of sleep and then be expected to have any fun or play well the next day ? How hard is it to let the girls get enough rest ?

Feb 15, 2011
FL
It is the beast called "Seeding". Due to TB taking off in popularity with limited true softball fields, there are a lot of teams who want to play. I tell my DD the better you do on Saturday, the later you may have to show up on Sunday.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
At showcases the TD will try to get out of town teams later times on Saturday and early games on Sunday so they have time for travel.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Why is it that tournament directors think its a good idea to have the teams who played until 9:30 or 10:00 at night on day one then need come back and play at 8AM the next day ?Seriously , who can play 3 or 4 games in one day , come back after getting 6 hours of sleep and then be expected to have any fun or play well the next day ? How hard is it to let the girls get enough rest ?

Shockingly hard... Too many teams, not enough fields, not enough umpires and not enough time...Add in some rain and it can get ugly quickly. Scheduling these tournaments is a pretty thankless jobs - bunch of 'requests', teams coming from all over and absolutely no chance of making everyone happy.

No matter how hard you try, when you schedule a tournament you can't avoid making it bad for someone. Around here, the more local you are to the tournament, the more likely it is you. Lately I am just hoping not to get a bad schedule two weeks in a row.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
We have had this crap happen to us in every tournament this last year . I thought the whole idea of skipping church was so I could sleep in on Sundays ;)

I told my wife and DD that we are taking the 5th wheel to every single tournament this year . I don't care whether its 500 miles or 5 blocks from my house . I am not nearly pretty enough to give up my beauty sleep ... LOL

I realize its tough to schedule all the teams and that traditionally the best seeded teams get to sleep in . Unfortunately there always seems to be that team that should be playing up or at a more competitive tournament that's out trophy hunting instead that show up to make it tough on us .

Feb 8, 2009
During pool play, teams shouldn't be scheduled late Friday evening and early Saturday morning. But, there is very little a scheduler can do going from pool play Saturday evening to bracket play Sunday morning.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
During pool play, teams shouldn't be scheduled late Friday evening and early Saturday morning. But, there is very little a scheduler can do going from pool play Saturday evening to bracket play Sunday morning.

Many is the time I (and all the parents) have thanked the girls for winning the last game on Saturday so we got seeded high enough to not play the first game Sunday.

Jun 25, 2009
Something I have noticed from one TD is that nobody gets eliminated on Saturday. Winners would play again at say 9 or 10 while the losers were enjoying dinner and the hotel. Mess up and lose that second game in the winners bracket (like we did) and you have the 8am game on Sunday.

I think it was all about keeping teams staying in town, and I understand that. But if you lose out on Saturday night, you are not going to be able to cancel the hotel, so I would just stay anyway. I credit it to well intentioned greed.

Feb 8, 2009
Not many coaches want to be eliminated before Sunday rolls around. You can call it greed if you like, but many teams plan on playing the whole weekend. An open Saturday night gives parents and players time to enjoy each other's company (hopefully).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32