Can we start a dialog about food options at the fields?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
For our high school concession stand, we went all in on Air Fryers. That has let us sell soft pretzels, corn dogs, cheese sticks, egg rolls, and lots of other items with little "training" or clean-up. You can also do hot dogs in them if you're not wanting to fire up the grill.

Jan 20, 2023
Was at a Halloween tournament this past weekend here in NJ an saw some other teams parents brought an Ooni Pizza oven. I was legit jealous.

Parent was like pizzas up girls! :)

While my kid has goals about speed and spin rate- this might be my season goal 🤣

I never understood those ovens til just now.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
DD's field was a wheel with concession stand in the middle. I always bought a couple hot dogs. if Dd had the last game they came to me 1st if I wanted free hotdogs. There are very nice people out there!

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I have some really big Yeti-style water bottles. On the (rare) no cooler fields I'm lugging in several of those filled with water, sports drinks, ice, etc. No coolers when it's 95 degrees out is insane. Borderline criminal.

We do similar. It's not terribly hard to cover a cooler in a wagon with a bunch of the other stuff we haul in (canopy, chairs, etc.). I've only had a couple tournaments ask to "inspect" my wagon. But I've not had anyone hold their ground on the no-coolers rule whenever it's been 95+ and all I have in there is water, Gatorade, and fruit. Most the time I get the impression it's help make sure no one is sneaking alcohol in. Though I often wonder how many big gulps I see have something extra in them.

In terms of concession offerings, most around here do the tradition hot dogs, burger, pretzel, and nachos. A large facility we play at does have a decent menu offering healthier options. But you'll definitely pay ballpark price for them.

Jan 25, 2022
Was waiting for somebody to get to this part of the topic! I used to be in food service industry also.
Temperature monitored environment critical!
Food certificate while it may not be an intensive course does explain some basic requirements that are actually very important to not serving contaminated food that creates illness.
For instance that cheepy hot dog may not be the thing that makes you sick as much as it is the cooking surface / method and utensil it was served with.
The person barbecuing burgers that's using the same spatula on raw meat then using it serving your cooked Burger on to the bun.
Cross-contamination from people's hands is a bad culprit.

Ever see that show bar rescue? It's got some disgusting situations exposed.

Other than our hotdog roller and deep fryer, we do everything in crock pots with liners. I specifically look for that at other concessions stands as well. Less chance that the equipment was tainted by mice, etc. Our CC gets mice so we clean a lot and take other precaution. Rewashing clean utensils, etc. All food storage is mouse inaccessible. etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles