Why bother calling illegal pitches...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 10, 2010
I walked up on a local game and the stands was a powder keg waitin to explode. Apparently there had been several illegal pitches called by a certain umpire. Runner on 1st, the base umpire is focused on the pitchers feet. It is obvious what he is watching and not watching. Check swing and the plate ump asks his partner did she go? Silence again plate umpire asks. Had to walk out to almost 1st base to get the base ump attention. Only to get a no she didnt go called. I quess that ump did not like being laughed at because there was not another illegal pitch called.

Sep 10, 2013
I was watch the UNC vs. FSU game online the other night and it looked like the UNC pitcher stepped outside the pitching lane on 50% of her pitches, and I did not see it called once. I also noticed that the game was played at UNC and there were no chalk lines for the pitching lane.....a little "home cooking" on the field prep?

what's the ruling regarding "showing the ball" first? the pitchers in this game had the ball in the glove before the delivery while on the pitching plate, then placed their pitching hand to the ball. i thought you're supposed to show the ball first?

Jun 22, 2008
what's the ruling regarding "showing the ball" first? the pitchers in this game had the ball in the glove before the delivery while on the pitching plate, then placed their pitching hand to the ball. i thought you're supposed to show the ball first?

There is no rule about showing or presenting the ball. When the pitcher takes the pitching plate the ball may be in either the throwing hand or the glove.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
If the plate umpire is calling a pitcher for leaping or crow hopping that is a problem. That should only come from a base umpire. Plate has hands, base has feet.

Also in order to have an IP for stepping outside the plane of the rubber, the entire foot must land outside.

Heard an analyst bring up a great point that the penalty for an IP may be too severe by advancing the runner a base. If the penalty for an IP was a ball on batter and no bases, umpires might be more inclined to enforce the rule more consistently.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I walked up on a local game and the stands was a powder keg waitin to explode. Apparently there had been several illegal pitches called by a certain umpire. Runner on 1st, the base umpire is focused on the pitchers feet. It is obvious what he is watching and not watching. Check swing and the plate ump asks his partner did she go? Silence again plate umpire asks. Had to walk out to almost 1st base to get the base ump attention. Only to get a no she didnt go called. I quess that ump did not like being laughed at because there was not another illegal pitch called.

Some folks have no business umpiring. As a BBFU with a runner on first, I'd be responsible for balks, check swings, pickoffs, obstruction, interference.................and I could probably call balls and strikes 90% as accurate as the PU.

One of the first things I'd do when we were playing TB was go to the hospitality room and see "who" were the umpire teams for the tourney. Within 100-200 miles of home, you knew which ones were good, which ones were "ok", and which ones were a circus act.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom