Why bother calling illegal pitches...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 3, 2012
Missouri
We were at a tournament over the weekend and watched SEVERAL girls in all age groups leaping (going airborne) and crow-hopping. We watched it all day both days and not one single umpire called an illegal pitch for doing it. They did manage to call an illegal pitch twice in one game. One was because the ball was very dusty and the pitcher took it out of her glove and wiped it on her pants and then put it back in her glove and started her motion. The other one was when a pitcher stepped onto the rubber with her hands together.

How did these two pitchers gain any advantage? It is just irritating to watch all these pitchers get away with actually pitching illegally in a way that gives them an advantage, but when a young pitcher doesn't know to keep her hands apart or another one wipes the dust off of the ball after stepping onto the rubber (both pitchers were from an 11u team), they get called on it.

It was just frustrating......ok.....rant's over! :)

Anyone else experience similar situations?

Jun 13, 2009
just curious, did you pay as close attention to whether or not the runners left early from 1st base? Or if slappers were out of the box when making contact? Or whether the umpire was giving corners on both sides of the plate? Probably not, its only the pitchers people worry about.

Sorry been listening to DD's pitching coach too much. LOL. (yes, he says it with humor).

cg

Jun 22, 2008
Did your coaches bring it to the tournament directors and UIC's attention? Ask for an explanation as to why it wasnt being called?

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
I hate when they don't call them for leaping. One time in a LL Allstar playoff game, the coach brought it to the umpire's attention that the runner (now on 3B) was leaving early on every pitch. They let her keep doing it without so much as a warning. same game, same umps tried to call a balk (which even if it was baseball it wasn't a balk)

May 29, 2013
2013 wiaa division 3 championship game. They called it. Nothing all season then a bushel full in the big show.

Mar 28, 2013
Last season DD went all year without a IP call, 100s of innings. Fast forward to nationals, Sunday play 2-2 tie in the 5th with the eventual champions. Our starting pitcher starting to get timed up. runner on third two outs. our team brings in my DD to get the last out. FIRST PITCH, IR called. for a pitching lane violation. The lines are not even drawn on the field. IP advanced in the go ahead and eventual winning run. That was the closest I've ever come to chesting up an umpire. Hope he took the time to High five the other team on the way off the field.

2013 wiaa division 3 championship game. They called it. Nothing all season then a bushel full in the big show.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2008
Last season DD went all year without a IP call, 100s of innings. Fast forward to nationals, Sunday play 2-2 tie in the 5th with the eventual champions. Our starting pitcher starting to get timed up. runner on third two outs. our team brings in my DD to get the last out. FIRST PITCH, IR called. for a pitching lane violation. The lines are not even drawn on the field. Walks in the go ahead and eventual winning run. That was the closest I've ever come to chesting up an umpire. Hope he took the time to High five the other team on the way off the field.

There are no lines on the field except for NCAA, and they are gone by the end of the 1st inning anyway.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrakesii