Why always use your Ace pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
Why do colleges so often use the same pitcher over and over again? I understand, you don't want to risk losing, but say you're Arizona and you win your three regional games by a collective score of 28-2. It can't really have been necessary to use Fowler for every single inning of those games. Why not give her an occasional rest and give someone else some playing time? Does the coach have such a lack of confidence in his other pitchers?

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
"THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE" Big Dog pitcher on a team.

There are no restrictions on innings pitched. So, the coaches pitch their best pitchers until their arms fall off. I don't agree with it...it is harmful to the kids. But, until the rules put restrictions on innings pitched, this is the way it is.

Does the coach have such a lack of confidence in his other pitchers?

Yes.

First, there aren't any bad teams in the NCAA tournament. So, you pretty much have to bring your A game all the time.

Second, there is no way to really evaluate different teams. The RPI is a joke, and the polls are heavily influenced by regional politics. So, you never really know what kind of team you are playing.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I was at the UofA games. There were innings that Shelby Babcock could have pitched, but she had some rocky outings this season. I don't know Coach Candrea's thinking, of course.

But, UofA's defense stinks behind Shelby. She did warm up pre-game. There are no other pitchers on the team. It is rumored that no pitchers are coming in next year, either.

The oft injured Kenzie is the money pitcher, here. Evidently, we win or lose, with Kenzie.

ASU is throwing Dallas Espodido, and letting the junior and freshman reserves sit, too.

Apr 24, 2010
Foothills of NC
I don't understand this either.

The coaches must know that they may have to put the #2 pitcher in at some point. Probably in a bad situation, bases loaded etc. It looks like they would want the #2 to get more experience.

I do see sluggers point. But as LAdad states there are times when IMO you could put in the #2 pitch and let her and the defense develop some confidence.

Jul 26, 2010
Probably has a lot to do with the managers paycheck and future employment being based on the number of games they advance in the post season.

-W

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
These college coaches are making a nice living doing what they do. NCAA Regionals is probably not when they are looking to get their #2 pitchers experience. I am sure ther have been many innings pitched during the regular season for experience. Now its win or go home. This is the time they have been resting their ace pitchers for. As for U of A, Fowler has been hurt. She may actually need the work. When I coached HS, I split innings during the season. Post season, #1 got the ball and took us where we needed to go. 3 games in 3 days, not really an issue. JMHO

Jul 26, 2010
Let's be honest here, too, those "ace" pitchers for the college teams more then likely pitched 7 games straight over a weekend tournament in JO ball, so this college stuff is cake by now.

-W

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
More then likely pitched 7 games straight over a weekend tournament in JO ball, so this college stuff is cake by now.

Nope, it is much difficult:

(1) There is no time limit.
(2) The batters are much, much better.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drid