Why always use your Ace pitcher?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 21, 2010
Watching Taryne Mowatt throw 8 games in 7 days, 1000+ pitches was pretty amazing. I wondered then about over use of the pitcher.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
In my opinion, she was not the same the next year. But, she just pitched in Holland and is getting ready to pitch for the Bandits.

There are just not that many pitchers available that are #1s. Sometimes, they have to get to college, though, for that to be figured out. Some want to hit and many schools don't allow that. Some transfer to another college (Sisk from UofA, to Texas A and M), but it is a flip of the coin whether they will actually work out at the big schools. If UofA beats OK. and T A+M beats ASU, Sisk could face UofA, in the world series.

Feb 3, 2011
I will coach my first daddyball team this fall. As long as she's the #1 pitcher, DD will pitch approximately 50% of the innings. In the spring, we'll organize a real 'B' travel team, and the plan is to locate or develop another pitcher so that the #1 slot is practically interchangeable.

I can only set limits for my DD and for the girls who play for me. Other coaches and players and parents view things differently and I don't get to set the rules for them just because I think they are potentially doing long-term damage to these young women or themselves. I never won an NCAA or national title in anything, so I cannot say what it feels like to be so close to that level of glory that you are willing to do whatever it takes to get over the top as a player or as a coach. Those people are willing to do what I cannot and will not, but while I disagree with their approach, they should have the right to make their own choices.

Aug 23, 2010
Florida
Almost all of the top pitchers have thrown at some ASA Natl's. Even the top programs who have two great pitchers would be playing between 6-10 games in a 5 day period. Hour and a half time limit aside, you are still looking at every other game for the pitcher. That is a lot of innings over a short period. These girls have been there and shown an ability to handle the load. TB is all about a lot of games in a short time frame. I am by no means in favor of this, but haven't we all seen a TB pitcher throw 15-20 innings on a given day?

Sep 3, 2009
I don't think it's a fair comparison. In girl's TB, you have maybe 12 players? Your pitchers also have to play other positions, and hit. Most Div 1 college teams roster over 20 kids. Not too many schools put their ace on 1B, or in the OF after she's pitched a game or two. And most don't hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SecOnd in Comand