Who's mistake?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
In my recent observations, the SS is usually running her butt off to get to 2B in time to catch the throw - LOL. This puts her in a position where her chest is facing the runner and she's catching across her body. Assuming SS was able to plant her feet and wait, facing home tends to get players reaching forward to catch the ball, which means they have to bring their glove back to the base line to make the tag. This is slow. Facing the runner and catching across their body tends towards catching the ball deeper and being able to drop a quick tag straight down.
Yes across, not sideways. tagging left side.

Hmmm, Reaching can happen regardless of positioning.

Apr 20, 2015
Agree. My SS is super fast and does often get their in time to set up. She straddles the bag in HS because that's what her coach prefers and front corner in travel because of their preference but she's really good at letting the ball travel and not reaching out so neither really results in much of a swipe tag

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

radness

Dec 13, 2019
You were fortunate that you had the ball early enough to turn your body back around to make the tag. In this pic, your rear leg is in a vulnerable position. If that runner is closer, and makes impact before you can turn, you're looking at a potentially bad situation (reference the video of my DD I posted earlier).
Would much rather have a runner slide into my planted shin guard than how your dd's foot/leg was taken out.

I wouldnt want feet planted, to twist right to the ball, then twist left to make tag.

One manuever~
Facing the ball/throw gives a
Fantastic defensive position for incomming throw.
Tag left.
Healthier use of body not twisting back and forth.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Would much rather have a runner slide into my planted shin guard than how your dd's foot/leg was taken out.

Right. Foot on the ground with the toes facing the runner keeps the shin guard taking the impact. Turning your chest to the throw tends to also turn the leg, which exposes the outside of the knee. That what is happening in your pic, and happened with my DD when she got injured.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Right. Foot on the ground with the toes facing the runner keeps the shin guard taking the impact. Turning your chest to the throw tends to also turn the leg, which exposes the outside of the knee. That what is happening in your pic, and happened with my DD when she got injured.
No thats not what happened in my pic. Did not turn chest.
My entire body was facing the throw. And i dropped my left knee down.
From that position dove left to make tag.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
This is the same mechanic.
Athletic position.
Then drop left knee/leg down.
SUPER STRONG POSITION.
This runner got thrown over my shoulder as a stood up during the impact.
DID NOT GET PLOWED OVER!
Can see how shin guard protects leg on ground.20160706_102355-1.jpg
Me 5'3 1/3, 140 pounds in that pic

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
No thats not what happened in my pic.
My entire body was facing the throw. And i dropped my left knee down.
From that position dove left to make tag.

You are missing my point.

You had time to turn back to the runner, and your runner was sliding outside. If the runner was closer, and you didn't have time to turn back, you're looking at a very different scenario if she comes straight in.

On the play where my DD got hurt, she turned to face the throw like you did. The runner impacted the outside of her knee before she could her body in a better position. In the pic where you are making the catch, the outside of your knee is exposed to the runner. This is a position I don't want my catcher to be in.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
This is the same mechanic.
Athletic position.
Then drop left knee/leg down.
SUPER STRONG POSITION.
This runner got thrown over my shoulder as a stood up during the impact.
DID NOT GET PLOWED OVER!
Can see how shin guard protects leg on ground.View attachment 22933
Me 5'3 1/3, 140 pounds in that pic

Badass. Seasoned warrior. Strong and durable. Adult.

Young girls don't always have all of those features, and being more careful about how they place their body parts is important, IMO.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Badass. Seasoned warrior. Strong and durable. Adult.

Young girls don't always have all of those features, and being more careful about how they place their body parts is important, IMO.
I was doing those mechanics on the BatBusters.

Far more contact back then!!!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32