Who's mistake?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You can't block the plate like that anymore and your setting yourself up for an ankle and or knee injury from the looks of it.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

With the exception of NCAA, her position in the first picture is fine. Obstruction doesn't occur until the moment a runner's progress is impeded by a fielder without possession of the ball. In this pic, we don't have possession of the ball yet, but we also don't have the runner impeded. Where the runner might be in the future is not a consideration.

I agree 100% about being in a vulnerable position. That was the point of my previous comments.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My main point in this discussion is simply

Prefer facing the throw comming in.
Can see trajectory and then position however.
Left/Right Up/Down.

Ball first for me!
Like playing a hit ball.
Get angle ball in front.

Gotta secure the ball to make the tag!

Enjoy whatever mechanics you choose and hope you find success with it!

Fielding a hit ball generally doesn't have the need to protect your body from an incoming runner that you are trying to tag out.

May 7, 2015
SoCal
We all have the opportunity to Monday Morning QB this play to death... That is not a luxury that the catchers have, they make decisions in a split second. There are all sorts of different techniques that are taught.

1-With the rise of obstruction, I see a lot of "get set up in the right position and if the throw is close, remain in that position". If the catcher is drifting around, it does open up the chance at obstruction.

2-I do agree with catcher presenting the most protected side to the runner, in this case, mostly facing the runner. This is not for when the catcher has time to to turn from receiving the ball to facing the runner, this is mostly for when the timing of the ball arrives at the catcher at the same time or behind when the runner makes contact with the catcher. If DD's going to get slid into when looking at the ball coming from RF (and not looking at the runner), I think it is best that she gets slid into while all her protective gear pointed at the runner.

3-My DD was taught earlier to catch the ball, drop the left knee and cover the entire front of the plate with the shin guards/toes pointed to the runner and place the ball/glove in the nook of the bottom of the shin guard/top of the foot. This seems overly complicated and was taught prior to the tightening of the OBS rules. She didn't stick with this technique.

4-There's a million permutations of what can happen, again they chose in the heat of the moment. On this particular play, if the catcher simply caught the ball, the sweep tag would've been fine and most likely we wouldn't be discussing this. It was simply a dropped ball due to rushing the tag.. There's plenty of dropped balls that don't get discussed like this.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD was taught earlier to catch the ball, drop the left knee and cover the entire front of the plate with the shin guards/toes pointed to the runner and place the ball/glove in the nook of the bottom of the shin guard/top of the foot. This seems overly complicated and was taught prior to the tightening of the OBS rules. She didn't stick with this technique.

The OBS rules have not changed for our DDs. Only for NCAA. However, the number of coaches and parents who think they know the rules, but get it wrong, seems to have increased.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Fielding a hit ball generally doesn't have the need to protect your body from an incoming runner that you are trying to tag out.
You seem to only be concerned with when the runner making contact.can understand as that video shows your dd's leg being taken out.
Which will-can happen when anyone is standing. Sideways or straight on.

*What about being prepaired to receive all sorts of throws.
So will bring this up again~

I understand your point of
Pointing foot down 3rd line because it puts the shin guard directly in front.
And yes there are times i wouldnt need to drop knee.
And foot/shinguard point to 3rd apon play.
HOWEVER

👉Would not immediatly take a sideways position with the ball on the right side of the field.
My point is that
i would NOT just
Start standing sideways.
Anticipating hoping that a perfect throw will happen.

I will look at the throw first facing the ball comming.
Adjust as needed to defensively play the ball.
(like a fielder would on a hit)

Asked previously
Does your dd immediatly stand sideways when the right fielder is about to throw?
Heres that question again if you like to be specific?
Or does she wait to look at the throw to then prepare?

Myself, would not face 3rd anticipating a perfect throw when its comming from right field.

Body face & eyes watch the ball.
To Stay on the ball.
So i can Secure the ball.
To make the tag.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
*as a notation on my discussion here.
My discussion focus is how to play the incomming throw/ball.

We all have the opportunity to Monday Morning QB this play to death... That is not a luxury that the catchers have, they make decisions in a split second. There are all sorts of different techniques that are taught.

1-With the rise of obstruction, I see a lot of "get set up in the right position and if the throw is close, remain in that position". If the catcher is drifting around, it does open up the chance at obstruction.

2-I do agree with catcher presenting the most protected side to the runner, in this case, mostly facing the runner. This is not for when the catcher has time to to turn from receiving the ball to facing the runner, this is mostly for when the timing of the ball arrives at the catcher at the same time or behind when the runner makes contact with the catcher. If DD's going to get slid into when looking at the ball coming from RF (and not looking at the runner), I think it is best that she gets slid into while all her protective gear pointed at the runner.

3-My DD was taught earlier to catch the ball, drop the left knee and cover the entire front of the plate with the shin guards/toes pointed to the runner and place the ball/glove in the nook of the bottom of the shin guard/top of the foot. This seems overly complicated and was taught prior to the tightening of the OBS rules. She didn't stick with this technique.

4-There's a million permutations of what can happen, again they chose in the heat of the moment. On this particular play, if the catcher simply caught the ball, the sweep tag would've been fine and most likely we wouldn't be discussing this. It was simply a dropped ball due to rushing the tag.. There's plenty of dropped balls that don't get discussed like this.
Good read

My discussion point is simply

*There is value in seeing the throw first, befor just setting up sideways.

Similar discussion on pick offs,
Some like corners to turn sideways immediatly.
*again prefer facing the throw...see it, to then movement to retrieve and tag.

imo immediatly turning sideways cuts off range because it splits front side and back side of the player in half.

We may be intending to get a perfect throw to a spot on one side.
However defensivly we still need to be 100% able to move either direction.
(sideways limits that)

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2013
I don't know where the aspect of blame became such an issue. The throw could have been better the C could have made the play but it was a tough play. The C could have been in a better position. As far as where to throw you should throw to the right spot and expect your teammate will arrive there but it's not easy to do. It's a play to work on but it takes times to get right. I have no respect for the coach who blames the whole game on a play.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
You seem to only be concerned with when the runner making contact.
What about being prepaired to receive all sorts of throws.
So will bring this up again~

I understand your point of
Pointing foot down 3rd line because it puts the shin guard directly in front.
And yes there are times i wouldnt need to drop knee.
HOWEVER
Would not immediatly take a sideways position with the ball on the right side of the field.
My point is that
i would NOT just
Start standing sideways.
Anticipating hoping that a perfect throw will happen.

I will look at the throw first facing the ball comming.
Adjust as needed.

I asked previously
Does your dd immediatly stand sideways when the right fielder is about to throw?
Heres that question again if you like to be specific?

Myself, would not face 3rd anticipating a perfect throw when its comming from right field.

Body face & eyes watch the ball.
To Stay on the ball.
So i can Secure the ball.
To make the tag.

My concern about contact with the runner is a priority because I want young catchers to be able to play the game without getting injured, so they can also play tomorrow. Contact plays are higher for the catcher position than any other.

Not once have I indicated that a catcher should plant their feet early and remain immobile. If it's going to be a close play, however, I want my catcher in a good position to make that play, with their body parts not in vulnerable positions, before they have the ball. Reading the ball and the runner at the same time is required, which is a fundamental skill of the game.

Why are we still going around and around on this? I understand your point and your intent. I just have a difference of opinion about some of the details.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
My concern about contact with the runner is a priority because I want young catchers to be able to play the game without getting injured, so they can also play tomorrow. Contact plays are higher for the catcher position than any other.

Not once have I indicated that a catcher should plant their feet early and remain immobile. If it's going to be a close play, however, I want my catcher in a good position to make that play, with their body parts not in vulnerable positions, before they have the ball. Reading the ball and the runner at the same time is required, which is a fundamental skill of the game.

Why are we still going around and around on this? I understand your point and your intent. I just have a difference of opinion about some of the details.
Because your focus is the posible contact.

My point is
Receiving the throw and being prepaired for it.
Do notice no answer from you on that question. No worries!

~btw
Deffinetly want to prepair players best to not get hurt!
Glad thats of your interest to.

Have a safe and fantastic summer season!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Because your focus is the posible contact.

My point is
Receiving the throw and being prepaired for it.
Do notice no answer from you on that question. No worries!

~btw
Deffinetly want to prepair players best to not get hurt!
Glad thats of your interest to.

Have a safe and fantastic summer season!

My focus is being properly prepared for contact because I've seen players get injured when they put their bodies into vulnerable positions. Paying attention to some of the little details about body and leg direction can minimize the chances of injury. I'm talking specifically about close timing plays. If the catcher has the ball early enough, I advise tagging the runner without significant contact.

I responded previously about throws from the right side. If it's a long throw from RF, and the runner is not close to home, yes, face the throw. If it's going to be a close play, the catcher had better get themselves into a good position to make the play before they have the ball. If the throw is off line, move your feet and get control of the ball. If the timing is like we see in the video in post #1, I want to see my catcher set up as I have described to make a quick tag on a close play. This means setting up before 1B has the ball to give 1B a specific target to throw to.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32