Who's mistake?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Because the throw was on target to the plate.
Are we watching the same video?

If you noticed in post number three, I said both were at fault, and it was a lackluster effort from both players, but to me that throw is the main culprit, it almost appears to land 3 or 4 feet up the 1B line? And it wasn’t that far of a throw to be so far off the mark!

Jun 8, 2016
Coach needs to use that as a learning experience for everybody involved..lots of learning material there :)

May 23, 2015
100% catcher set up. Have coach find someone who can teach 2 how to properly cover the plate. The BR is a stone cold out if it was done properly

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have to strongly disagree with you here. I don't want my catcher turning the protected side of her body away from the runner. Plant that left foot with the toes facing the runner, and leave it there (unless you need to move your feet to get to the ball). This catcher's body turn to reach the throw puts her in a vulnerable position. Setting up facing the throw also puts her in a vulnerable position.

Doing it right...

Doing it wrong...

Starting at 0:12 is a series of plays at the plate where my DD keeps her left leg with the protected side facing the runner while handling some off line throws. Granted a throw from 1B can make it more challenging if the C has to reach to their right.

I think we can agree that off-line throws can be a problem, and how a C handles those while staying safe is an important thing to work on.

Take what ever angle approach or philosophy people want...
i would not stand/position as that catcher did.

*Can see the clear delema in the op's video.

Also imo its Clear the throw was on target.
Well within an accurate place.
And the catcher had to do
un-needed twist right then left body work

*set up better also makes the play cleaner!!
One manuever!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I have to strongly disagree with you here. I don't want my catcher turning the protected side of her body away from the runner. Plant that left foot with the toes facing the runner, and leave it there (unless you need to move your feet to get to the ball). This catcher's body turn to reach the throw puts her in a vulnerable position. Setting up facing the throw also puts her in a vulnerable position.

Doing it right...

Doing it wrong...

Starting at 0:12 is a series of plays at the plate where my DD keeps her left leg with the protected side facing the runner while handling some off line throws. Granted a throw from 1B can make it more challenging if the C has to reach to their right.

I think we can agree that off-line throws can be a problem, and how a C handles those while staying safe is an important thing to work on.

Your video exposes yet another reason to not stand sideways. Its the twisting of the torso to reach the ball is limited. Throw could be 1,2,3 feet further behind your dd.
Terrible physical position to make adjustment with feet...because really only using upper half of body.

*People can set themselves up for a perfect throw, and not be ready for a good throw thats not perfect.
👉Prefer to be Set up ready for the worst throw and catch everything!

Ball First!

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Your video exposes yet another reason to not stand sideways. Its the twisting of the torso to reach the ball is limited. Throw could be 1,2,3 feet further behind your dd.
Terrible physical position to make adjustment with feet...because really only using upper half of body.

Ball First!

I have mad respect for you, Rad, but we're going to disagree on this one. If the catcher needs to move her feet to handle the ball, so be it. If that's the case, the likelihood of still being able to make a play is pretty low anyway. If the C can handle the throw from their setup position, I want to make sure they are moving in a way that keeps them protected - especially ankles and knees. Setting up with their chest facing a throw from 1B does not meet that criteria for me.

radness

Dec 13, 2019
I have mad respect for you, Rad, but we're going to disagree on this one. If the catcher needs to move her feet to handle the ball, so be it. If that's the case, the likelihood of still being able to make a play is pretty low anyway. If the C can handle the throw from their setup position, I want to make sure they are moving in a way that keeps them protected - especially ankles and knees. Setting up with their chest facing a throw from 1B does not meet that criteria for me.
Thats okay!
Let me ask you this.
On a catcher throwing to ss on a steal.
Do you prefer ss already sideways
(standing between pitcher and 2nd, basically facing right side of field. Her back to left side of field. Or could be stradling sideways)
Right handed ss her glove would be on the outfield side of her body.
This would be feet planted twisting toward catcher for the throw.

Or
Do you prefer
ss facing the catcher tagging to her left?
Essentialy catch throw sweep tag.

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
More plays at the plate.
This is Long Beach State vs Arizona

Throw comming from right field.
And was to my right side, can see my glove going that way
Facing throw.
Ball first.
Just about to catch it dropping knee.
To then turn and make the play.
Out.
And a pic of young Mike Candrea in short shorts.
Old School

20210712_112749-1.jpg

20210712_112806-1.jpg

20210712_112643-1.jpg

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Thats okay!
Let me ask you this.
On a catcher throwing to ss on a steal.
Do you prefer ss already sideways
(standing between pitcher and 2nd, basically facing right side of field. Her back to left side of field. Or could be stradling sideways)
Right handed ss her glove would be on the outfield side of her body.
This would be feet planted twisting toward catcher for the throw.

Or
Do you prefer
ss facing the catcher tagging to her left?
Essentialy catch throw sweep tag.

In my recent observations, the SS is usually running her butt off to get to 2B in time to catch the throw - LOL. This puts her in a position where her chest is facing the runner and she's catching across her body. Assuming SS was able to plant her feet and wait, facing home tends to get players reaching forward to catch the ball, which means they have to bring their glove back to the base line to make the tag. This is slow. Facing the runner and catching across their body tends towards catching the ball deeper and being able to drop a quick tag straight down.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32