Where To Stand in The Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 11, 2015
Depends on more the pitcher than the hitter usually (in BB anyway).

F1 who makes his living off the FB, deeper in the box...F1 who relies more on breaking ball and OS pitches to get hitters out, up forward in the box ("hit it before it breaks" is a common reminder to hitters facing OS F1s).

Since most (BB) F1s are somewhere in the middle of that...typically the middle of the box is the best place to start, and adjust from there if needed.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I have a feeling that @RADcatcher will love me for this one, only time I stand at the back of the box and on the plate is when I am trying to impede the catcher from doing their job.. anything to give my base runner a couple of feet, :). Of course this can't be an identifiable pattern either.
Strategy is essential ! 👍

Jun 8, 2016
If the pitch catches the front corner black and then breaks away. It’s a strike.
A ball over the outer half that can be barreled up could be well into the river by the time it gets to the back part of the batters box.
The pitch does not need to be in the strike zone the whole length of the plate for it
To be called a strike.

baseball strategy is not always the right way to do things in softball.
4YoAW8I.gif

Hitting is hitting..

Oct 26, 2019
What did he say about softball hitting?

This is the second time you have pointed out the difference between softball and baseball hitting so explain to me what I’m missing. The ball has to cross the plate to be a strike. The ball breaks just the same in baseball and softball with the exception of the rise (and common hitting instruction involves recognize the rise up and take it) Yes it’s thrown from a different height, but the plate is the same size and so is the strike zone. I know Rad pointed out the softball starts in the zone and leaves it. The baseball starts out of the zone, then enters the zone, and then leaves it again. I could be wrong though because I throw cool whip tops and coffee can lids at our girls like frisbees to hit.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
View attachment 17814
excerpt from Don Mattinglys book. I like what he says about adjusting closer to and farther away from the plate. Also, I agree with Gwynn about wherever you stand (front or back) stay there for the consistency.
Both of these hitters are 6'0'' tall. Mattingly stood at the back line and adjusted in and out and Gwynn stayed in his 'picture' comfort zone.

We will probably see the same in FP.

Attachments

• Tony Gwynn.jpg
    Tony Gwynn.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
Jun 8, 2016
And pitching is pitching. That's nasty!!!
Yup. Point is balls break out of the zone into the river in baseball just like softball. The way strikes are called is the same in baseball as it is in softball. There are also pitches that hitters should lay off in baseball (like high fastballs) which they don't just like in softball (e.g. riseballs which are not meant to be thrown for strikes). Along with mechanics, hitting (in either sport) is about approach and adjustments from AB to AB and from pitch to pitch . That part of strategy is no different in softball than it is in baseball. It is a pitcher's job is to make it as hard as possible for you to keep to your approach. In the clip I showed, unless there were two strikes, I doubt Donaldson had any intent to swing at a slider but the damn thing looked like a fastball for 80% of the way so 🤷‍♂️

On a related note, I always get a laugh when they show great MLB hitters trying to hit elite softball pitchers to show how hard it is to hit FP. It is hard nobody is doubting this for a second and the people who do this are sort of showing their own insecurities by having to use these examples to make a point. That said, if you think for a second that Barry/Albert/etc (e.g. the guys who they typically show flailing away at riseballs..) wouldn't be able to hit the pitching if they practiced some against a FP pitcher they are fooling themselves.

Last edited:

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Yup. Point is balls break out of the zone into the river in baseball just like softball. There are also pitches that hitters should lay off in baseball (like high fastballs) which they don't just like in softball (e.g. riseballs which are not meant to be thrown for strikes). I always get a laugh when they show great MLB hitters trying to hit elite softball pitchers to show how hard it is to hit FP. It is hard nobody is doubting this for a second and the people who do this are sort of showing their own insecurities by having to use these examples to make a point. That said, if you think for a second that Barry/Albert/etc (e.g. the guys who they typically show flailing away at riseballs..) wouldn't be able to hit the pitching if they practiced some against a FP pitcher they are fooling themselves.
ADD
Also Softball players can hit BB pitching.
From my experience hitting off farm team male bb pitchers throwing upper 80's and at 90 mph.
I cracked bb's to the wall at
Jackie Robinson stadium UCLA home field.
395' center field.

From the front of the box,
Standing on the baseball field remember thinking 'this is going to be interesting.' Can remember the first pitch and waiting for it.... I cracked a high line drive to left-center field. That' 375 feet on that field. It bounced once and plug the Outfield wall.
I stepped out of the box and said. Loudly
"Well shirt every man should be able to hit one out of here."
The next pictch the guy who was pitching through a big ol hanging curve, which I saw like a bus coming down the street,. Ripped that to the right center Gap.
This was as a young thirty year old At just under 5'4.
Not exactly in my peek of training.
Remember I felt like I had to wait for the pitch to get there. That stood out to me !
I asked how fast is he pitching and they said topping out at 90 mph.
It was fun to experience.
And really neat opportunity!

Lots of flight built into a baseball!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez