Where To Stand in The Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 8, 2016
I will say though @RADcatcher you probably had an advantage over the current batch of FP hitters in that the aluminum bats you used in the 1940's were probably a lot closer to wood then the drop 9/10 cannons they use now... šŸ˜‚

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I will say though @RADcatcher you probably had an advantage over the current batch of FP hitters in that the aluminum bats you used in the 1940's were probably a lot closer to wood then the drop 9/10 cannons they use now... šŸ˜‚
Hahaa 34" bazookah ! That was college bat.

Bb used what they provided.
Cant recall weight or length i selected.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019
Baseball at the high school and college level went through a major bat change when they switched to BBCOR. The BBCOR bats had noticeably less pop than the previous composites. I wonder why softball hasnā€™t had the same change. With the smaller field I would think itā€™s less safe than baseball for sure. Hell the fact we advocate for masks so often on here says that.

side note - first slow pitch game I played in the coach heard I played infield in college so they asked me to play 3B and I was like ā€œno thanks Iā€™ll take the outfieldā€. You gotta be brave and stupid to play 3B in slow pitch.

Jun 8, 2016
Baseball at the high school and college level went through a major bat change when they switched to BBCOR. The BBCOR bats had noticeably less pop than the previous composites. I wonder why softball hasnā€™t had the same change. With the smaller field I would think itā€™s less safe than baseball for sure. Hell the fact we advocate for masks so often on here says that.

side note - first slow pitch game I played in the coach heard I played infield in college so they asked me to play 3B and I was like ā€œno thanks Iā€™ll take the outfieldā€. You gotta be brave and stupid to play 3B in slow pitch.
At the college level while safety was an issue for sure, I think part of it was how out of control the offense was getting. The scores were starting to resemble football scores...While comparatively speaking, there is a lot more offense in softball then there was before they moved the mound back and went to yellow balls, it isn't out of control YET. I do wish they would move the fences back a bit though in college. If a 10 YO kid can a HR on a field that grown women play on (I've seen it) then something isn't right..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
The bats now are crazy lite!
Some feel like mud when making contact.
Like some weight in it !!

Last edited:

radness

Dec 13, 2019
At the college level while safety was an issue for sure, I think part of it was how out of control the offense was getting. The scores were starting to resemble football scores...While comparatively speaking, there is a lot more offense in softball then there was before they moved the mound back and went to yellow balls, it isn't out of control YET. I do wish they would move the fences back a bit though in college. If a 10 YO kid can a HR on a field that grown women play on (I've seen it) then something isn't right..
Yeah batting averages got bloated !
Havent read/heard much recently about that new step back rule.
Pitcher reports that is.
Maybe pitchers picked up a helpful advantage back?

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah batting averages got bloated !
Don't be bitter... :p

Funny story. My sister was a really good softball player in HS in the early 90's, could have played in college but chose volleyball instead. Well she hasn't followed the game at all since then and when Marcela brought a ball with her one time when we were visiting she was like what the heck, the ball is yellow now? šŸ˜‚

Jun 8, 2016
Depends on more the pitcher than the hitter usually (in BB anyway).

F1 who makes his living off the FB, deeper in the box...F1 who relies more on breaking ball and OS pitches to get hitters out, up forward in the box ("hit it before it breaks" is a common reminder to hitters facing OS F1s).

Since most (BB) F1s are somewhere in the middle of that...typically the middle of the box is the best place to start, and adjust from there if needed.
Not necessarily disagreeing with any of this logic but do you think most pros think like this or do they just find a position in the box where they feel comfortable and stick there? I was always under the impression that most don't move around but TBH I never really paid attention to that when watching games.

I suppose with HS hitters of varying ability (and comfort/confidence) levels, this might be something which is done but personally I don't ever remember anybody telling me where I should stand in the box (and knowing myself I would have probably not listened anyway.. šŸ˜‚ )...then again maybe I wouldn't have quit in college if somebody had ;)

Last edited:

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
Have always showed kids where to stand in the box so they could cover the outside pitch. Then stressing the approach for hitting with 2-strikes of ā€œlook away and react insideā€.

Seems much more important these days as many of the 10U pitchers are already working on location and off-speed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi