Where To Stand in The Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Yeah batting averages got bloated !
Havent read/heard much recently about that new step back rule.
Pitcher reports that is.
Maybe pitchers picked up a helpful advantage back?
Should be a huge difference. 2 to 6 mph, but i think pitching MOST coaches are behind the curve on this one.

Apr 11, 2015
Not necessarily disagreeing with any of this logic but do you think most pros think like this or do they just find a position in the box where they feel comfortable and stick there? I was always under the impression that most don't move around but TBH I never really paid attention to that when watching games.

I suppose with HS hitters of varying ability (and comfort/confidence) levels, this might be something which is done but personally I don't ever remember anybody telling me where I should stand in the box (and knowing myself I would have probably not listened anyway.. 😂 )...then again maybe I wouldn't have quit in college if somebody had ;)
Yeah, I was pretty much talking about amateur and not actually pro ball, but can see how my verbiage of "F1 who makes his living" could have been confusing. I was using the term figuratively, but easily understand how it could have been taken literally. My bad.

As far as actually telling a player where to stand in the box, yeah, not something that's I think is actually coached much past entry level kids to get them started.

But I have made the aforementioned suggestions about moving one way or the other in the box as a general statement to a team, when I see we're getting beat by a pitcher's particular pitches of preference, as more of a reminder or thought process to do something a little different if what you're (we're) doing is not working...and I sure as heck don't want to start having them change their swings.

I guess you could say it's more of an in game confidence booster when one's struggling against a certain pitcher at the moment, and needs sort of a mental reset button if you will. I've always said that hitting was more mental than physical, but that's a whole other anti-TTB thread topic for Radcatcher to start. 😄

Jun 8, 2016
Yeah, I was pretty much talking about amateur and not ball, but can see how my verbiage of "F1 who makes his living" could have been confusing. I was using the term figuratively, but easily understand how it could have been taken literally. My bad.
I understood what you meant. Was just curious about whether you thought moving around a bunch in the box was common practice in the pros because like I said I never really pay attention to that when I watch games (which, unfortunately, is rare nowadays)

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Moving in the box is an interesting topic.
While playing noticed fewer batters would change feat.
Recogizing from my catching position and calling pitches.
I could see them trying to
'adjust'
Simply would 'adjust' what pitches to call.
(didnt always need to either)

Batters timing is one thing.

*Pitchers throwing different speeds
and multiple locations
is the real adversary!!

Apr 11, 2015
I understood what you meant. Was just curious about whether you thought moving around a bunch in the box was common practice in the pros because like I said I never really pay attention to that when I watch games (which, unfortunately, is rare nowadays)
No I don't, because I don't think there's as big of difference in pitcher quality, and pitch variances in the pros as I see in the HS levels, and even some college ball. Most pros are cruising 90-something plus with a nasty secondary pitch.

In HS ball, you know right away the here and there guy coming in touching 90-something, and the couple of guys who are just barely hanging on finishing off their careers on the mound by throwing OS junk just to stay alive, and eat up some "get by" innings for the opposing coach.

Jun 8, 2016
No I don't, because I don't think there's as big of difference in pitcher quality, and pitch variances in the pros as I see in the HS levels, and even some college ball. Most pros are cruising 90-something plus with a nasty secondary pitch.

In HS ball, you know right away the here and there guy coming in touching 90-something, and the couple of guys who are just barely hanging on finishing off their careers on the mound by throwing OS junk just to stay alive, and eat up some "get by" innings for the opposing coach.
That is what I figured. Plus, most baseball guys are big on routines and I would think something as simple as just setting up in a different spot in the box would bother them..I know it would have for me.

Apr 11, 2015
'adjust'

and multiple locations
is the real adversary!!
My oldest was an F2, and he did exactly that also. I tried to coach that to my HS F2s, and surprisingly, it wasn't as easy or intuitive for many of them to pick up as I thought it would be. Makes giving those who can't the leniency to start calling their own games that was our goal. But those that could get it figured out...were fun to watch, and some of my very best F2s. (y)

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
'adjust'

and multiple locations
is the real adversary!!
Many routines for hitters coming into box looking for their comfort zone. If they look too comfortable, mean catchers will make them move their feet :devilish:..

Thanks for this post. An integral part of the game so often over-looked.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
This is the second time you have pointed out the difference between softball and baseball hitting so explain to me what I’m missing. The ball has to cross the plate to be a strike. The ball breaks just the same in baseball and softball with the exception of the rise (and common hitting instruction involves recognize the rise up and take it) Yes it’s thrown from a different height, but the plate is the same size and so is the strike zone. I know Rad pointed out the softball starts in the zone and leaves it. The baseball starts out of the zone, then enters the zone, and then leaves it again. I could be wrong though because I throw cool whip tops and coffee can lids at our girls like frisbees to hit.
I don’t think the trajectory and movement on the pitches are the same. The swing is the same but the strategies are different. In baseball almost all hitters are in the back of the box. Top level softball players are more likely to be middle or even in front.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi