Where To Stand in The Box

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
When DD was younger (14u) she tended to move back (towards the catcher) a bit if the pitcher was predominantly fastball. She moved up if the pitcher was predominantly off-speed or spin. By the time she got to 16u it became one spot and adjusted with her mechanics. At the college level I rarely see hitters change their position in the box.

Jun 8, 2016
I tell my DD to get close to the plate and somewhere in the middle of box but whatever she does just be consistent. Since I typically sit far away I have no idea what she actually does but considering what I tell her she probably rotates between standing in the back of the box, 3 feet off the plate and and in the front of the box 3 feet off the plate.

Oct 26, 2019
I know my answer to this question, but when would seeing the ball for less time ever be an advantage?

Back of the box all the way. Players who move up in the box for off speed are telling the pitcher that they don’t know how to wait on the pitch. Plus if you get to a higher level, like in MLB or D1 softball - it’s all fast and waiting isn’t usually a problem.

Jun 8, 2016
I know my answer to this question, but when would seeing the ball for less time ever be an advantage?
The almighty riseball, all bow down to it and adjust your mechanics, location in the box and life insurance policy because of it!!

Oct 26, 2019
The almighty riseball, all bow down to it and adjust your mechanics, location in the box and life insurance policy because of it!!

that’s a lot of effort put into hitting a pitch that’s not a strike. I don’t want to catch it early before it leaves the strike zone. Same with moving up because of the curve in the dirt.

Jun 8, 2016
that’s a lot of effort put into hitting a pitch that’s not a strike. I don’t want to catch it early before it leaves the strike zone. Same with moving up because of the curve in the dirt.
Shhhh you are ruining its aura..

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019

Back of the box all the way. Players who move up in the box for off speed are telling the pitcher that they don’t know how to wait on the pitch. Plus if you get to a higher level, like in MLB or D1 softball - it’s all fast and waiting isn’t usually a problem.
Good question!
At the front of the box, the pitch is generally closer to the strike zone in fastpitch.
As the pitch starts in the strikezone at the knee,
And most pitches spin away from the strikezone.

The strikezone starts at the front of the plate.
Back of the box may be swinging at pitches that were a strike (or closest to a strike) and then have moved farther or farthest away.

The strikezone is an area around the plate. Not where the batter stands.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

All batters need to see the ball long enough to make a decision. If some need to see it longer to do that then they should move back.
Batters who move up for breaking pitches are typically trying to hit the ball before it moves off the plate, not because they can’t wait for it.

Oct 26, 2019
All batters need to see the ball long enough to make a decision. If some need to see it longer to do that then they should move back.
Batters who move up for breaking pitches are typically trying to hit the ball before it moves off the plate, not because they can’t wait for it.

I agree with the reason batters move up, but why would you want to get to a pitch before it moves off the plate? Just let it become a ball. Most breaking pitches in MLB are designed to be balls in the same fashion - best to learn to lay off.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez