Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
RDB - What is the issue with having the intent to hit at, hit to, throw to, etc. a precise point?
I have no problem with throwing(that was introduced later in these posted). I also have no problem with 'intent' to hit. I'm saying a hitter can not on purpose hit a certain part of a softball or baseball in a game.
Good luck....
SkeletalBlondKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

99FZ.gif

Last edited:
May 12, 2016
No offense but until you have faced 90+ you don't realize how correct the ole see the ball/ hit the ball saying is.
You practice till your hands bleed such that in a game it is 99% reactionary...if that practice includes focusing on
a spot on the ball to hit then fine.
30,40,50,60,70,80,90, off the tee.. etc It doesn't matter, as a ,matter of fact the faster the pitch gets, the more it moves the more important it is to focus. When the ball moves 90+, so does the central reference point/dot, so why not try to hit that dot, same idea, aim small, miss small

Jun 8, 2016
When the ball moves 90+, so does the central reference point/dot, so why not try to hit that dot, same idea, aim small, miss small
BECAUSE YOU CAN BARELY SEE THE FREAKING BALL...THAT'S WHY. I am serious..go to a batting cage that you can crank it up that fast and tell me whether you think trying to pinpoint a spot to hit will help you.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
LOL, road hockey with your college buddies doesn't count. Played on a couple fast pitch provincial champ teams, besides that, you are correct, mostly beer league. Luckily the concept in question here has 0 to do with my level of Ball played/experienced.
Apparent to you it did or else you wouldn't have brought up another straw-man topic.

May 12, 2016
I have no problem with throwing(that was introduced later in these posted). I also have no problem with 'intent' to hit. I'm saying a hitter can not on purpose hit a certain part of a softball or baseball.
Good luck....
SkeletalBlondKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

99FZ.gif
Does TM not say to laser the ball in half? Guess where half is.. it's that dot in the middle. If you are saying you can't hit the spot you intend to hit, then the lasering technique is stupid. I know hitting is hard, I know the failure rate is high in hitting a spot on a baseball. I never ever said it wasn't. But by trying to hit that spot, you increase the chances of squaring that ball up, or at least getting a piece of it

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I have no problem with throwing(that was introduced later in these posted). I also have no problem with 'intent' to hit. I'm saying a hitter can not on purpose hit a certain part of a softball or baseball.
Good luck....

I'm talking about intent. I believe julray is, too.

May 12, 2016
I'm talking about intent. I believe julray is, too.
Yes Eric I am, I've stated it many times.

I've played with some really good fast ball players who could make the ball dance at high speeds. I am yet to see a pitch where the ball has no central reference point. Is it difficult to hit, yes, and that's why I feel it's more important to focus on that spot, not the whole ball. Apparently when pitches are over 90+ the ball turns into particles and the hitter just swings at nothingness. This concept makes no sense to me.

May 12, 2016
Apparent to you it did or else you wouldn't have brought up another straw-man topic.
It's the kind of focus used in many sports where accuracy is required.. hence why I said it has nothing to do with my level ball played or experience

Jun 8, 2016
It's the kind of focus used in many sports where accuracy is required.. hence why I said it has nothing to do with my level ball played or experience
There have been threads on here regarding the proper type of focus when hitting a baseball/softball and the "laser-like" one, where you are staring at a point on the ball, e.g. the one you are referring to, isn't typically thought to be correct.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I am yet to see a pitch where the ball has no central reference point. Is it difficult to hit, yes, and that's why I feel it's more important to focus on that spot, not the whole ball.
This isn't 'intent' to me. This is someone who thinks there is a 'central reference point' that a hitter can 'focus on that spot and not the whole ball' on a moving, spinning, pitched ball. Sounds like someone thinks that is what a hitter can and is doing. Again JMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Preschuck