Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Actually I tell my DD to pinpoint hitting the center (basically aim for an inner circle, let's say 2 cm radius) of the ball regardless of what type of pitch it is. Aim small, miss small, no point swinging for the entire ball. Same thing when throwing, pick a spot, don't throw to the entire object

"Take dead aim" - Harvey Penick. This was an idea that I was introduced to during the short time I was torturing myself with the game of golf, but it absolutely applies to softball/baseball. Having an intent to hit (or throw to) a precise point will tend to get the body working in a way to produce that result.

May 12, 2016

Much better chance of "lasering" the ball successfully if you have a central reference point, aim small, miss small.

May 12, 2016
"Take dead aim" - Harvey Penick. This was an idea that I was introduced to during the short time I was torturing myself with the game of golf, but it absolutely applies to softball/baseball. Having an intent to hit (or throw to) a precise point will tend to get the body working in a way to produce that result.
Thank you, this type of focus is used way outside the boundaries of baseball/softball. Pitching the ball, aim for a spot in the catchers glove, not the entire glove, hockey, when making a pass, aim for the tape on the stick, not the entire player, I could go on and on.

Edit: Picking up golf this summer, god help me

Last edited:

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
When slapping/shooting the puck do you 'aim' for a certain part of the puck or the whole puck. I could go on and on......
hockey, when making a pass, aim for the tape on the stick
I guess no pass to you:
bobbyorr2.jpg

May 12, 2016
When slapping/shooting the puck do you 'aim' for a certain part of the puck or the whole puck. I could go on and on......
You don't play hockey obviously, I did.. when shooting the puck, aim small, miss small. There's no challenge in missing the puck when shooting, most of the time when shooting or passing your head is up not looking at the puck at all, you are focusing on the target, where the puck is being passed/shot. Try again.....

Honest I can't believe people are pushing back on this, why wouldn't you focus on a central point within the target. If you haven't practiced this before, you should, laser like focus is a good thing. So many of of you have taught me so much, I'm just #$@$ing flabbergasted.

May 12, 2016

I guess no pass to you:
bobbyorr2.jpg
Thanks for illustrating Orr playing with his head up and not looking at the puck. What a player!

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
I played ice hockey in college. It's apparent, you never played baseball/softball obviously. Beer league don't count.

May 12, 2016
I played ice hockey in college. It's apparent, you never played baseball/softball obviously. Beer league don't count.
LOL, road hockey with your college buddies doesn't count. Played on a couple fast pitch provincial champ teams, besides that, you are correct, mostly beer league. Luckily the concept in question here has 0 to do with my level of Ball played/experienced.

Jun 8, 2016
Luckily the concept in question here has 0 to do with my level of Ball played/experienced.
No offense but until you have faced 90+ you don't realize how correct the ole see the ball/ hit the ball saying is at game speed. You practice till your hands bleed such that in a game it is 99% reactionary...if that practice includes focusing on
a spot on the ball to hit then fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd