Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
For the record, I don't think we should be asking our DD's to intentionally create back spin, difficult enough just to time and square the ball up... just wanted to hear your guys thoughts on the matter

Jun 8, 2016
OMG your point makes no sense. Yes hitters have routines, they tap their cleats with the bat, they take a deep breath etc etc. I'm talking about a practical approach here, they speak of creating backspin by making contact with a certain area of the ball, they practice it,
Here I will make this simpler for you. I don't think practicing hitting a certain part of the ball off the tee is going to help anybody hit better in a game.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Here I will make this simpler for you. I don't think practicing hitting a certain part of the ball off the tee is going to help anybody hit better in a game.
Sorry Pattar, that is not true. I want my DD to hit certain spot on the ball off the tee for sure. I will often turn the logo to give her a target on the ball. Slightly inside and just below the equator. Hitter should be producing some backspin off the tee but NOT from hitting down on it. Big fan of long tee. Hitter can see trajectory and spin and get insta feedback.

Jun 8, 2016
Sorry Pattar, that is not true. I want my DD to hit certain spot on the ball off the tee for sure. I will often turn the logo to give her a target on the ball. Slightly inside and just below the equator. Hitter should be producing some backspin off the tee but NOT from hitting down on it. Big fan of long tee. Hitter can see trajectory and spin and get insta feedback.
Ok, tell me how this translates to a game? If by trying to hit a certain spot on the ball you are implicitly working on path then I can see how it might help. Anybody who tells you they can pinpoint where they want to make contact on a 95+MPH tailing fastball is lying..

May 12, 2016
Agree as well, I certainly wasn't suggesting that. I just don't know how practicing this translates to live game pitching.. I can see it being somewhat of an improvement I guess, if you aim small, you miss small. So giving your DD an optimal spot on the ball to hit would be a benefit because it might increase concentration. But I am curious if slightly inner below the equator is optimal. The pros talk about hitting the ball there, makes sense, longest hit balls create tons of back spin. Played ball with a guy that was much smaller than me, I had greater bat speed, but his home runs were massive.. he created tons of back spin, far as I know he didn't know how he did it.

May 12, 2016
Ok, tell me how this translates to a game? If by trying to hit a certain spot on the ball you are implicitly working on path then I can see how it might help. Anybody who tells you they can pinpoint where they want to make contact on a 95+MPH tailing fastball is lying..
Actually I tell my DD to pinpoint hitting the center (basically aim for an inner circle, let's say 2 cm radius) of the ball regardless of what type of pitch it is. Aim small, miss small, no point swinging for the entire ball. Same thing when throwing, pick a spot, don't throw to the entire object

Jun 8, 2016
Actually I tell my DD to pinpoint hitting the center (basically aim for an inner circle, let's say 2 cm radius) of the ball regardless of what type of pitch it is. Aim small, miss small, no point swinging for the entire ball. Same thing when throwing, pick a spot, don't throw to the entire object
Throwing is different..most of the time your target isn't moving on a curved path at 95MPH (or 60+ in fastpitch). Look I am fine with a queue of hitting the ball in a certain spot... just don't think it actually has any effect at all.

May 12, 2016
Throwing is different..most of the time your target isn't moving on a curved path at 95MPH. Look I am fine with a queue of hitting the ball in a certain spot... just don't think it actually has any effect at all.
You are referring to result, while I am talking about intent. It's no different than firing a gun or bow at a moving target, aim small, miss small. Sames as darts, aim for the bulls eye or a spot in the center of the bulls eye. This type of concentration is even more important for a pitched ball, like you keep saying it's so much harder to hit, so why not increase focus and aim for a smaller target to increase your chances of squaring the ball up (if that's your goal) or creating back spin (again if that's your goal). The result desired should occur more often if aiming for a spot on the object, vs the entire object, regardless if the object is moving or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd