Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Similar to a kid that is constantly swinging under the ball.. I am constantly having kids change there focus point on the ball to help adjust hand eye.
Off a tee, soft toss or during front toss or live game speed pitching?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Actually some people did...

I've said right from the beginning "Intent", whether you hit that spot is a different story. Anyway, hitting that exact spot wouldn't be a measure of success in this scenario, hitting the ball would, that's why focusing on a central point of reference makes sense. If you are going to focus on hitting a ball, why not intend the center?

I have no issue with the intent. My focus would be an ideal barrel path and squaring up the ball. If I use solid mechanics the rest will take care of itself.

May 12, 2016
I have no issue with the intent. My focus would be an ideal barrel path and squaring up the ball. If I use solid mechanics the rest will take care of itself.
That's the part of your focus I am referring to.

I don't understand how solid mechanics results in everything else working out, you have to see the ball. I might be misunderstanding you?

Sep 17, 2009
Julray, you actually are NOT saying 'see the ball, hit the ball' you are saying 'see a spot on the ball, hit a spot on the ball' -- again, I think the algorithm responsible for superior hand-eye coordination is much more complicated than that.

TDS, you tell a kid that is swinging under a pitched ball to....do what exactly? Try to see and hit the top of the ball? And by doing that they'll move their contact point up and hit the center of the ball? When they are having trouble hitting the ball at all in the first place? Not sure this is how hand-eye coordination works or should be trained for.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
I would guess that the required time it takes to continually track, refocus, and reprocess the trajectory of the ball, by trying to focus on a small center point during a live game would detract from a hitter's ability to be successful over a large sample size of at-bats. That's the idea of "open focus", I believe. The golf analogy doesn't hold a lot of water for me, because the golf ball is stationary and the brain isn't being required to track the possible trajectory of an object that is decelerating AND spinning.

Even though their slogan is "On path, bottom half", I think in all reality even the Back-Spin Tee is really just helping train a better bat path (I personally think just the visual aid of having the top of the ball "unavailable" helps people naturally work on a better path and is what a lot of their success is owed to). The idea that anyone above of coach pitch can hit well while focusing on the bottom half of the ball (or the dead center) seems hard to believe, which leads us back to the idea that a good/correct bat path will be what generates a better launch angle and better spin more often than a bad/incorrect bat path. That leads us, then, back to the idea that maybe it's a lot better to just worry about training bat path than it is to worry about spending a lot of time thinking about hitting the bottom half of the ball (or a tiny spot dead center, etc).

Jun 8, 2016
This is one of those things that falls into the "overteaching the crap out of something" category.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
This is one of those things that falls into the "overteaching the crap out of something" category.

I kinda agree. This can be over taught. Try using genetic cues. ‘On top’ ‘bottom inside half’ like Braun states. Or plainly ask for line drives off a tee. If they are popping up, let them know they are losing the barrel. If they are beating it into the ground put the tee up higher.

Or plainly ask for ‘line drives up the middle into the gaps’. Kids will figure it out. Some faster than others.

As for pro speak. They all tend to say they focus on smaller parts of the ball to narrow the focus more.

Hitting to a portion of the ball has been around forever. You won’t physically get to that spot on the ball. But those are the cues needed to ‘square’ up different balls in different locations. Reason being is the swing is being launched from the same general area everytime.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Julray, you actually are NOT saying 'see the ball, hit the ball' you are saying 'see a spot on the ball, hit a spot on the ball' -- again, I think the algorithm responsible for superior hand-eye coordination is much more complicated than that.

TDS, you tell a kid that is swinging under a pitched ball to....do what exactly? Try to see and hit the top of the ball? And by doing that they'll move their contact point up and hit the center of the ball? When they are having trouble hitting the ball at all in the first place? Not sure this is how hand-eye coordination works or should be trained for.

I don't tell them or have them change there swing mechanics (ie chop down top of the ball). I have them attempt to pick a spot on the ball using the same swing mechanics.. I don't know anyone whose hand eye is 100% correct 100% of the time. No different then hammering a nail. The swing might be fine but you struggle squaring up the nail. .

As to hand eye.. Have you ever had a kid swing with good mechanics swinging under or just ticking the ball straight back? Do you tell them anything ? Do they know why they ticked it ? or what adjustments need to be made ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd