Where should you hit the ball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 12, 2016
Julray, you actually are NOT saying 'see the ball, hit the ball' you are saying 'see a spot on the ball, hit a spot on the ball' -- again, I think the algorithm responsible for superior hand-eye coordination is much more complicated than that.

TDS, you tell a kid that is swinging under a pitched ball to....do what exactly? Try to see and hit the top of the ball? And by doing that they'll move their contact point up and hit the center of the ball? When they are having trouble hitting the ball at all in the first place? Not sure this is how hand-eye coordination works or should be trained for.

What I am saying is "see ball, hit smaller ball in the center". Not sure what those training balls are called, but they are the size of a golf ball. If I can train my eye to hit those from a machine or front toss, then why not pick a spot that big in the central location of a softball and attempt to hit that? It could be the way I explained it, but you guys are referring to the spot on the ball way literal. Can we see the entire outline of a ball when it's pitched to us? Yes we can, so why not swing for the "golf ball" in the middle.

I don't understand how barrel path improves our vision or focus as some people are saying here, I can understand how it helps us hit what we see.

What do you tell a kid who regularly pops up and hits grounders? Try to hit the center of the ball. What's the difference in trying to tell a kid to hit the top of the ball vs hitting the center?

May 12, 2016
I kinda agree. This can be over taught. Try using genetic cues. ‘On top’ ‘bottom inside half’ like Braun states. Or plainly ask for line drives off a tee. If they are popping up, let them know they are losing the barrel. If they are beating it into the ground put the tee up higher.

Or plainly ask for ‘line drives up the middle into the gaps’. Kids will figure it out. Some faster than others.

As for pro speak. They all tend to say they focus on smaller parts of the ball to narrow the focus more.

Hitting to a portion of the ball has been around forever. You won’t physically get to that spot on the ball. But those are the cues needed to ‘square’ up different balls in different locations. Reason being is the swing is being launched from the same general area everytime.

This is all I am saying...

Oct 2, 2017
What I am saying is "see ball, hit smaller ball in the center". Not sure what those training balls are called, but they are the size of a golf ball. If I can train my eye to hit those from a machine or front toss, then why not pick a spot that big in the central location of a softball and attempt to hit that? It could be the way I explained it, but you guys are referring to the spot on the ball way literal. Can we see the entire outline of a ball when it's pitched to us? Yes we can, so why not swing for the "golf ball" in the middle.

I don't understand how barrel path improves our vision or focus as some people are saying here, I can understand how it helps us hit what we see.

What do you tell a kid who regularly pops up and hits grounders? Try to hit the center of the ball. What's the difference in trying to tell a kid to hit the top of the ball vs hitting the center?

These are not used to train to hit a smaller ball in the center of a bigger ball. Its simply if you can consistently hit a small moving target you greatly improve your hand eye coordination to hit a bigger object that is moving at faster rate. It has nothing to do with hitting a specific spot on a ball.

May 12, 2016
These are not used to train to hit a smaller ball in the center of a bigger ball. Its simply if you can consistently hit a small moving target you greatly improve your hand eye coordination to hit a bigger object that is moving at faster rate. It has nothing to do with hitting a specific spot on a ball.

So improving hand/eye coordination does not help with the intention of hitting the center of the ball which would reduce pop-ups and grounders? I know written on the package of those little balls it does not say "Helps with hitting a spot on a softball" lol.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, I will be able to sleep better now :oops:
Anyway, I've said my peace regarding focusing on a specific part of the ball so I won't pile on anymore. Maybe it helps, all I know is I never did it which of course means diddlysquat

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
That's the part of your focus I am referring to.

I don't understand how solid mechanics results in everything else working out, you have to see the ball. I might be misunderstanding you?

Simple. They don't. But based on your posts, you are claiming that your DD regular squares up the ball, but still the ball doesn't travel. In my opinion there are only two possible reasons for this. Either her bat is completely shot and has zero pop left. Or she is doing something wrong mechanically. If she truly is squaring up pitches on a regular basis, I really don't think vision is the problem.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd