When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 29, 2015
Excellent.

This is what I'm trying to get our team to do. These are 10 year old girls. Let them dance, let them get pumped up, let them sing the songs I've never heard before.

I mean really. We're fine letting 30 year old millionaires have walk up songs in pro baseball but not a little girl? Huh?

It isn’t about denying anything to the players. It is about being disrespectful to everybody else.

May 29, 2015
Here's a question I have for all the parents playing music... do you actually listen to the words? I can't tell you how many times I've smacked my head listening to the words of the rap/hip hop songs they're playing. FYI, this is also a weighing factor (one of several) why my DD left her last team. They chose to let the girls choose what they wanted and listened to during warm up. My daughter couldn't stand it and her musical tastes were as far as the right is from the left to the other girls. So, her tastes as the #1 RBI producer by over 2x to the next #2 girl were ignored. Her current team, a high level 18u, doesn't bother with warm up music. They're serious and have a purpose.

Those are the people who believe Hallelujah is a Christmas song ...

Dec 11, 2010
OsDad, I think you make fair points. I wouldn’t begrudge any kid for having fun. This brings me back to a point I like to make here: everyone’s point of view here is different. There isn’t any one right answer. It’s been a long time since I’ve been around 10’s and 12’s. Playing for fun means something totally different to me. Softball isn’t really a social experience for me. No team my dd’s have played for in the past 5 years were there for anything but to enjoy playing sb at the highest level they could. I know that’s not the same for all, and it wasn’t always that way for me. That’s ok.

I will say this though- while I have never expressed my opinion about boom boxes at the park, I do have that opinion.

I’m being honest here. I just don’t like it. I bet there are plenty of people who think it’s obnoxious but don’t say it out loud.

That’s what’s nice about a forum like this. You get to be completely honest. You don’t have to sugarcoat anything if you don’t want to.

May 29, 2015
I guess my point is this-

I've never encountered a single person actually AT the ballpark who cared as much as people online seem to care.

Never, NEVER gage anything by an online reaction, especially in a specialty forum or social media group. You have a self-selecting audience here, not a representation of the population in general.

Oct 4, 2018
It isn’t about denying anything to the players. It is about being disrespectful to everybody else.

The girls enjoy it, the parents enjoy it. No one has ever complained (to us). We've even seen umpires dancing along, people walking by singing along, etc.

I don't think everyone else is feeling disrespected.

I fully acknowledge that plenty or people/teams are very obnoxious with how they handle music. Our music is at a pretty low volume and turned off well before play starts. For us, it's about the girls and them having fun and loving the game. The music helps with that.

Aug 26, 2019
A few years ago when DD was in 8U there was a team that tried that nonsense. Because 8-year-old girls really love Metallica and G'n'R. (DD's coach: "Come on, man, if it was for the girls you'd be playing Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.")

That isn’t always true... 10u last year my daughter chose Cotton Eyed Joe for her song. I shared it with her once cause her nickname is Jo and she loved it. She also will pick a warm up mix of 90’s songs that my husband put together over anything current.

But yah I’d agree that a lot of times it’s for the parents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
You know the girls chose the music when you don't recognize a song and 6 of the girls pick the same song.

May 6, 2015
tha
You know the girls chose the music when you don't recognize a song and 6 of the girls pick the same song.
that was one rule we had, no repeats in lineups, would rotate day to day if same song picked by multiple girls.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momma2ma