When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
I know I'm going to be in the minority here but when I played travel ball, we played music every half-inning. Sometimes, it was metal or some pop or a show theme or something along those lines. Then we each had our own walkup song. I'm a bit of a pro wrestling fan so I used the theme music for a wrestler named Tetsuya Naito who wrestles for New Japan Pro Wrestling (I had thought about using the theme for Jushin "Thunder" Liger which is maybe the greatest anime theme ever). We never noticed it or had the other team complain we had music play. Granted, some of the older crowd never liked what we played...particularly grandparents.

Jan 8, 2019
More often than not, I see it around here as a usually parental/ sometimes team effort to distract the other team. If it were for fun/enjoyment, why don't we as coaches let the girls play it
during games
in the dugout where they would actually be closer to it? Because it's an unwanted, avoidable distraction.
Do you incorporate it into your practice plans? Maybe yes for water balloon day. Hard enough to get their attention as it is.

I have seen very few parents who legitimately felt bad when they were told and realized that it was bothering other teams/players around them, and they would shut it off (usually for the rest of the tourney). What normally played out, though, was that the team's entire fanbase would become raucously and righteously indignant like someone violated their entire reason for being.
When that happens, you can rest assured it was not being played for innocent reasons.
If anyone other than the PU or TD approach these people, the reaction is typically an increase in volume and/or frequency of the music.

Respect the game. Win or lose on your team's merits. Teach your athletes to rise to the competition, not the tunes.

May 6, 2015
I've heard that song. Not necessarily my cup of tea but it's my sister's walkup song. So... I really can't say anything.
she would choose it specifically for shock intimidation factor. she wants a tshirt that says "Leroy Brown is my @#$%&"

softgabby

Gear Empress
Mar 10, 2016
Just behind home plate
she would choose it specifically for shock intimidation factor. she wants a tshirt that says "Leroy Brown is my @#$%&"

I could see that song being intimidating. I was always partial to either ACDC's Hell's Bells or Metallica's For Whom The Bell Tolls for that intimidation factor. I also think that Leroy Brown shirt sounds like it would be so funny. I got a good laugh out of it reading the quote here in the dining hall.

Jan 22, 2011
Tournament last spring parents on other team played a short bit of 'Under Pressure' when my DD went up to bat after player before her struck out. She hit a double.

PJR

Oct 3, 2016
My daughter is a member of a travel softball team. We play music for the girls between innings. We had been told, by someone with way more knowledge than us, that it was the unwritten rule to play the music for your team as your team left the field and was coming up to bat. However, we continue to find teams that either do not follow this rule, or are not aware of it, and play the music on the opposite schedule, which is when their girls are taking the field.

What is the "rule"? Should the music be played as your team comes up to bat? Or as your team takes the field?
Don’t play music between innings. Most fields are close and out of respect for the other games you shouldn’t do it. There should be enough to talk about(adjustments, upcoming approach, etc..) that musics isn’t necessary. Warm up, post game, pregame I get it.(Keep a good volume and make sure it is appropriate versions). I can’t tell you how many teams have unclean or inappropriate in nature songs blasting for the entire park to hear.

Jul 17, 2012
Kenmore, WA
Do you incorporate it into your practice plans? Maybe yes for water balloon day. Hard enough to get their attention as it is.
We definitely play music at practice. We will turn it down when we need to talk, but it is playing 98% of the time. We won't play music during games, but we will play it before games during our warm-ups. We try to make sure it isn't a distraction for other teams which may be playing. The girls pick the songs and build the playlist with a couple of coaches' favorites thrown in to maintain our sanity.

Jan 8, 2019
We definitely play music at practice. We will turn it down when we need to talk, but it is playing 98% of the time. We won't play music during games, but we will play it before games during our warm-ups. We try to make sure it isn't a distraction for other teams which may be playing. The girls pick the songs and build the playlist with a couple of coaches' favorites thrown in to maintain our sanity.
Sounds like you have a team where you are teaching respect and good communication! Kudos! Is this a TB team? Age?

My experience is almost purely from rec ball, and DD just finished up 12U. Even when we have allowed the music at practices, it is typical that it is mom-supplied, and DDs have little to do with the process. Interestingly, now that I typed that, I think that the game-day problems are more from dad-supplied sources than moms.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brkou812