When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Also, for the record I have no issue with teams doing it in between innings, etc as long as it done by the time play starts and it isn't at an excessive volume such that it interferes with play on nearby fields. I don't see the big deal..the chants are more annoying to me as a fan then the music imo but again a player should be concentrating to the point where all it is background noise, both the chants and the music.

Don't get me started on when the girls decide to bang on a bucket. Ugh.

Sep 9, 2019
A couple teams showed up at nationals with ice cream cart size boomboxes. They were thankfully denied entry. Younger ages, honor any requests to stop or ran independently from the booth..........fine.

Apr 16, 2013
Here's a question I have for all the parents playing music... do you actually listen to the words? I can't tell you how many times I've smacked my head listening to the words of the rap/hip hop songs they're playing. FYI, this is also a weighing factor (one of several) why my DD left her last team. They chose to let the girls choose what they wanted and listened to during warm up. My daughter couldn't stand it and her musical tastes were as far as the right is from the left to the other girls. So, her tastes as the #1 RBI producer by over 2x to the next #2 girl were ignored. Her current team, a high level 18u, doesn't bother with warm up music. They're serious and have a purpose.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
At HS games. I became really annoyed when the volume of the music was so loud, I could not have a conversation with the person next to me. Especially when you can't really hear the music at that volume the noise is so distorted and the speakers are pushed beyond their listenable capabilities. Upperclassmen pick the music for the rookies and it usually involves some hideous nursery school song like Baby Shark.

Dec 11, 2010
In travel ball: Never. Not in warmups. Not between innings. No walk up music. If another team can hear it, you shouldn’t be doing it.

The games next to you doesn’t want to hear it. The team playing you doesn’t want to hear it.

I don’t want to hear your music any more than you want to hear my music at a stoplight.

The world does not revolve around you or your little team of wonderfuls.

This isn’t a college game.

This isn’t a pro game.

There are other people playing and warming up.

Other people exist in the world besides you.

Yes, this post is kind of rude. The idea that some parents and coaches have no idea how OBNOXIOUS this is necessitates it.

Dec 11, 2010
It should be specified in all tournament rules that any Bluetooth speakers found on grounds will be seized, piled up behind the tractor shed and burned with napalm or some equally effective accelerant while the owners are forced to watch.

OR

blown up in centerfield in the style of the Disco Demolition incident.

The Uncoach

Clubhouse 7up
Jan 19, 2011
They earned the opportunity to play on the biggest stage of baseball,and do it for a living. They didn't earn the music. The music the is for entertainment purposes only.
The crowd was there long before walkup music was a thought. They earned every bit of it.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
In travel ball: Never. Not in warmups. Not between innings. No walk up music. If another team can hear it, you shouldn’t be doing it.

The games next to you doesn’t want to hear it. The team playing you doesn’t want to hear it.

I don’t want to hear your music any more than you want to hear my music at a stoplight.

The world does not revolve around you or your little team of wonderfuls.

This isn’t a college game.

This isn’t a pro game.

There are other people playing and warming up.

Other people exist in the world besides you.

Yes, this post is kind of rude. The idea that some parents and coaches have no idea how OBNOXIOUS this is necessitates it.

I guess my point is this-

I've never encountered a single person actually AT the ballpark who cared as much as people online seem to care. Maybe some of the really strong feelings about it are coming from parents of older girls where, as I mentioned, I don't see it happening as much. My DD doesn't care about it either way, but I can see it not being as "fun" for older girls. Someone above mentioned their being dissension over music on a high-level 18u team. That seems a little silly to me and I would expect that at older ages, music would be less common and more intrusive. When I'm around 6u-12u teams, however, it's happening on nearly EVERY field so maybe "The games next to you doesn’t want to hear it. The team playing you doesn’t want to hear it." isn't true for all cases, since those teams are playing their own music too?

I've CERTAINLY never encountered a 12 year old or younger child who complained about hearing music at the ballpark and felt like it ruined their experience and again- if it's about the girls having fun at those ages, does it really matter if you and I don't like it?

Maybe Oklahoma and USSSA tournament fields are just ALL bush league teams and we don't belong in the hollowed parks and in the company of everyone else's super duper extra serious sub-14u teams.

Someone should really tell these kids to grow up and take the game more seriously...

May 29, 2015
NEVER!!

I'm sure I've been annoyed at travel tournaments in the younger ages before, but nothing that really stands out that I remember. BUT.........for our HS team, they had speakers mounted on poles right above the entrances of both dugouts, in between innings when you really needed to gather the troops and give instructions or talk to an individual player, us coaches couldn't without screaming or completely moving 50 feet away!!

I HATED those speakers!!! This past year Anna made me promise I wouldn't beat our dugout speaker off of that pole with a bat! I have the keys to the field and lights, I threatened several times to sneak in there late at night and just make those speakers go away!

So my vote.........NEVER!

This comment may be more appropriate to volleyball ... It is very difficult to hold your pre-game meeting with the coaches/players when you can’t hear each other from 2 feet away. Yes, I have had that in softball. The speaker is usually right behind the plate, pointed at the umpire.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi