When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
I’m on the field and I don’t notice it anymore either. I’d say Pattar may even be a bit low on his estimate. I feel like it’s well over half the teams down here that do it. DD’s team has a speaker probably half the time (depends on which parents are there). At the end of the day, again, who cares which adults are annoyed by it? I’d be perfectly fine with umpires giving a warning that the first time it isn’t turned off when it’s supposed to be, that they’ll be banned for the entire game, but otherwise I guess I figure a bunch of grown men and women should be able to enjoy watching their kids have fun, despite of a minor annoyance.

The day the girls start hating it is the day it will stop, I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The head coach relaying in pitching calls is who cares. The ump/catcher/pitcher waiting for the music to stop delaying play also is who cares. Especially coaches that use verbal number systems. It drowns out everything relayed in and must be repeated.

Funny side note on this... the last HC that we faced from Colorado that used this had to call two timeouts in the bottom of the last inning to delay the game to keep us from scoring any more on his team (pool play). Cant help but wonder if all the delays from music added up might have given his team a chance to want to get 3 outs and start a new inning vs call time to keep us from scoring and running the clock out.

May 6, 2015
How can you not notice "AND NOW BATTING #XX BLAH BLAH BLAH followed by LOUD music" and some bumbling softball mom failing to turn it off as there batter enters the box and ump-catcher and pitcher staring at them.
that is why older DD did it for yonger DDs team at nationals. waaaay more music tech savvy than any adult associated with the team.

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
The head coach relaying in pitching calls is who cares ... Especially coaches that use verbal number systems. It drowns out everything relayed in and must be repeated.

You mean, like... me?

It's really NOT that big of a deal. Heck, I'd say that teams who use a number/color system and don't practice it cause a bigger delay across an entire game than music does. The music cuts out, we give the call, our P/C take about 2 seconds to find the call, and on we go. It's not a big deal.

Playing music and playing music too long/loudly/at inappropriate times are not the same thing and I expressly mentioned that.

Oct 4, 2018
I am stunned at the amount of votes for never. Where we are located, Central FL, and the age groups we see at the tournaments, 10U, 12U, 14U, more people play music than do not play music. At some tournaments there are nearly as many rolling bluetooth speakers as there are bat bags.

With that said, we do not play music before the game / during warm up time, or at any other time than between innings. We keep the speaker pointed at our field and keep the volume respectable. We screen all of the music for language.

And the girls have fun with it. There is nothing better than seeing them break into a dance for 10-20 seconds with smiles on their faces before they go back to the business of softball.

Excellent.

This is what I'm trying to get our team to do. These are 10 year old girls. Let them dance, let them get pumped up, let them sing the songs I've never heard before.

I mean really. We're fine letting 30 year old millionaires have walk up songs in pro baseball but not a little girl? Huh?

May 6, 2015
The head coach relaying in pitching calls is who cares. The ump/catcher/pitcher waiting for the music to stop delaying play also is who cares. Especially coaches that use verbal number systems. It drowns out everything relayed in and must be repeated.

what would that HC do if the noise was simply yelling and cheering by he opposition team?

maybe we need guys with quiet signs like golf.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Really what is it hurting to anyone. As long as its at the appropriate time, like walkups. No issues. I think some don't like it because they didn't have it growing up.
In my case as a coach trying to talk to players, it was an issue! It was like trying to talk over a F-18 flying overhead! Plus I'm old, and I don't think the girls (or younger parents) would appreciate Zeppelin being played!

Oct 2, 2017
In my case as a coach trying to talk to players, it was an issue! It was like trying to talk over a F-18 flying overhead! Plus I'm old, and I don't think the girls (or younger parents) would appreciate Zeppelin being played!

Now if someone had the music that loud, then yes its a problem. I should be within a respectable volume.

I don't understand all these comments about girls or younger parents not appreciating rock, classic rock like zeppelin etc. You would be surprised that many of these girls and younger parents are into much more than just pop music of today. I know my daughter loves to rock out to older rock music like AC/DC, Guns Roses, Metallica Etc. and what not. I think its just a over generalization that girls only like dance, pop music.

Oct 27, 2017
For those that don't like the music or if you just want to have some fun. I have found a great time waster for in between games. I walk around the park and look for Bluetooth connections that are open and highjack speakers. It's great seeing the looks when I Rick Roll a team or play Baby Shark or some other childish music (Barney, Mickey Mouse...).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom