When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
You mean, like... me?

It's really NOT that big of a deal. Heck, I'd say that teams who use a number/color system and don't practice it cause a bigger delay across an entire game than music does. The music cuts out, we give the call, our P/C take about 2 seconds to find the call, and on we go. It's not a big deal.

Playing music and playing music too long/loudly/at inappropriate times are not the same thing and I expressly mentioned that.

why should a game be delayed for that though? Especially in a timed game. Our pitcher catcher have a sign and ready to go before their player is back in the box the majority of the time....unless there is music.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
Now if someone had the music that loud, then yes its a problem. I should be within a respectable volume.

I don't understand all these comments about girls or younger parents not appreciating rock, classic rock like zeppelin etc. You would be surprised that many of these girls and younger parents are into much more than just pop music of today. I know my daughter loves to rock out to older rock music like AC/DC, Guns Roses, Metallica Etc. and what not. I think its just a over generalization that girls only like dance, pop music.
That's great, but around here (my circles) I honestly don't know of one girl who likes or listens to music of my generation, mainly 70s & 80s.

Mar 7, 2016
For those that don't like the music or if you just want to have some fun. I have found a great time waster for in between games. I walk around the park and look for Bluetooth connections that are open and highjack speakers. It's great seeing the looks when I Rick Roll a team or play Baby Shark or some other childish music (Barney, Mickey Mouse...).

now that is hilarious :LOL::LOL: theres a few opposing coaches im gonna have to try this out on.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
High school double headers up here in ND, music in between innings and walk up songs. Don’t mind it as it’s the only game going on. Some travel tourneys where fields are close, and all playing music it gets hard lol. By the way, DD’s walk up song “Boom” by POD. The girls seem to really have fun with it, so it’s all good

May 29, 2015
My daughter is a member of a travel softball team. We play music for the girls between innings. We had been told, by someone with way more knowledge than us, that it was the unwritten rule to play the music for your team as your team left the field and was coming up to bat. However, we continue to find teams that either do not follow this rule, or are not aware of it, and play the music on the opposite schedule, which is when their girls are taking the field.

What is the "rule"? Should the music be played as your team comes up to bat? Or as your team takes the field?

The rule is NEVER. Unless you are in the press box and playing on an isolated field. Then you do it for both teams as appropriate.

I say that part in sarcasm, part in truth. “The rule” I reference in most codes states “no artificial noisemakers”. I honestly don’t mind it so much on my field, but I find it extremely rude and disrespectful of all the fields around you who may be playing while you are jamming out.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
We played a tourney this past weekend and there were all different age groups. We are 18U. I find that the music stops around the 14U level with the exception for warming up. We finished our game and were walking through the lower age group's field areas, and it was a totally different vibe. There we so many more people watching the games with siblings running around and the music blaring. It almost felt like walking into the Star Wars cantina! Meanwhile, the 18U games stands were sparse and quiet. It's more like "Let's to get down to business shall we" Widespread Panic song.

The Uncoach

Clubhouse 7up
Jan 19, 2011
Walkup music belongs on the HS varsity field and above. It doesn't belong in travel ball. It's hard to fathom why parents don't help their kids understand how to set proper goals and have some fun putting lists together of they would like their walkup song to be when they get to the varsity field.

Jun 8, 2016
Also, for the record I have no issue with teams doing it in between innings, etc as long as it done by the time play starts and it isn't at an excessive volume such that it interferes with play on nearby fields. I don't see the big deal..the chants are more annoying to me as a fan then the music imo but again a player should be concentrating to the point where all it is background noise, both the chants and the music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi