When to play music between innings?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 7, 2016
We play music while warming up as do most teams here in Kansas... only occasionally do we run across a team that plays walk up music or even walkup announcements. I personally LOVE IT when they do it because it pisses my players off and lights a fire to come out and make them not want to do it.

Jun 8, 2016
We play music while warming up as do most teams here in Kansas... only occasionally do we run across a team that plays walk up music or even walkup announcements. I personally LOVE IT when they do it because it pisses my players off and lights a fire to come out and make them not want to do it.
At least half the teams here in OK play music in between innings and do a walk up song...or so I am told. Interestingly enough, while I am not playing (obviously) or even coaching, I typically don't even notice it (granted I sit in the OF). Too busy critiquing my kid in my head.. :LOL: If a kid is concentrating on what they are doing it really shouldn't be anything more than background noise...

Sep 23, 2019
I am stunned at the amount of votes for never. Where we are located, Central FL, and the age groups we see at the tournaments, 10U, 12U, 14U, more people play music than do not play music. At some tournaments there are nearly as many rolling bluetooth speakers as there are bat bags.

With that said, we do not play music before the game / during warm up time, or at any other time than between innings. We keep the speaker pointed at our field and keep the volume respectable. We screen all of the music for language.

And the girls have fun with it. There is nothing better than seeing them break into a dance for 10-20 seconds with smiles on their faces before they go back to the business of softball.

Jul 29, 2013
North Carolina
NEVER!!

I'm sure I've been annoyed at travel tournaments in the younger ages before, but nothing that really stands out that I remember. BUT.........for our HS team, they had speakers mounted on poles right above the entrances of both dugouts, in between innings when you really needed to gather the troops and give instructions or talk to an individual player, us coaches couldn't without screaming or completely moving 50 feet away!!

I HATED those speakers!!! This past year Anna made me promise I wouldn't beat our dugout speaker off of that pole with a bat! I have the keys to the field and lights, I threatened several times to sneak in there late at night and just make those speakers go away!

So my vote.........NEVER!

Mar 7, 2016
At least half the teams here in OK play music in between innings and do a walk up song...or so I am told. Interestingly enough, while I am not playing (obviously) or even coaching, I typically don't even notice it (granted I sit in the OF). Too busy critiquing my kid in my head.. :LOL: If a kid is concentrating on what they are doing it really shouldn't be anything more than background noise...

How can you not notice "AND NOW BATTING #XX BLAH BLAH BLAH followed by LOUD music" and some bumbling softball mom failing to turn it off as there batter enters the box and ump-catcher and pitcher staring at them.

Oct 27, 2017
A few years ago when DD was in 8U there was a team that tried that nonsense. Because 8-year-old girls really love Metallica and G'n'R. (DD's coach: "Come on, man, if it was for the girls you'd be playing Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.")
LOL, not all girls listen to "pop" music. My 11yo DD's pregame playlist consist of Motorhead, Pantera and Hatebreed. When asked for a walk-up song, she picks Hatebreed - Destroy Everything

Dec 26, 2017
Oklahoma
How can you not notice "AND NOW BATTING #XX BLAH BLAH BLAH followed by LOUD music" and some bumbling softball mom failing to turn it off as there batter enters the box and ump-catcher and pitcher staring at them.

I’m on the field and I don’t notice it anymore either. I’d say Pattar may even be a bit low on his estimate. I feel like it’s well over half the teams down here that do it. DD’s team has a speaker probably half the time (depends on which parents are there). At the end of the day, again, who cares which adults are annoyed by it? I’d be perfectly fine with umpires giving a warning that the first time it isn’t turned off when it’s supposed to be, that they’ll be banned for the entire game, but otherwise I guess I figure a bunch of grown men and women should be able to enjoy watching their kids have fun, despite of a minor annoyance.

The day the girls start hating it is the day it will stop, I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 2, 2017
Doesn't bother me in the slightest. Really what is it hurting to anyone. As long as its at the appropriate time, like walkups. No issues. I think some don't like it because they didn't have it growing up.

Jun 8, 2016
Like I said I sit in the OF so that helps I am sure but usually I am watching to see where everybody is playing, whether they are getting in the ready position correctly, etc.

May 6, 2015
never.

Unless broadcast over a stadium PA system.
Or there are tapped kegs of beer in the dugouts.
etc.

I have been the bad guy more than once to tell a coach to turn off his/her team's portable boom box,
while they warm up right behind our dugout.

It seems fairly obvious to me that this is done in very poor taste with absolutely zero awareness of your surroundings.

call me a "curmudgeon", I don't care...
definitely has a place, but must be done respectfully, not for your off field warmups right next to field with game going on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802