When does the batter start moving.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Riding momentum forward with instep pressure on the backfoot maintaining scap load. Dont lower hands on low pitch. Just tilt torso more, stride straight every pitch. The longer you can maintain instep pressure and scap load the the longer your brain has to dissect location and do what needs to be done at contact

Tell me more about this 'maintaining scap load'.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hands/Barrel last after front hip clears/moves rearward. Too much lag is created by failure to either maintain scap load until foot plant or failure to load scap at all during stride

Tell me about 'when' in the swing you recommend loading the scap. If possible, share a clip segment when the scap first loads.

Aug 20, 2017
Don’t know how to do clips. Scap loads during the stride. You will see back elbow pull back and rise some. Most teach it as separating hands and stride foot but it actually is the back shoulder scap that loads after the negative move and during forward momentum. If scap never loads hitters will swing from top down. If it loads initially but hitter fails to maintain that load into foot plant you will see connection lost early and early slot of the elbow

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDbas, are you saying this is point he knows he is swinging in this gif? thats the "twitch point"?

See if this helps with the understanding ...

Twitch.gif

Apr 11, 2015
I don't know anything
c8cdd29a27230bbaeb9dc444a6f679dd.gif

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Jcuevas, put your cursor on Justin's hands at the start of the clip....

Does he "load"/pull them back, or does his body "move out" away from/underneath them?

Just another way of looking at it.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Jcuevas, put your cursor on Justin's hands at the start of the clip....

Does he "load"/pull them back, or does his body "move out" away from/underneath them?

Just another way of looking at it.
I work on "1 legged" hitting so my final answer is "move out". The reason for this gif is to somewhat prove that "scap loading" is a joke and one shouldn't be stuck on that. Reason being, if you're not careful with "scap" instruction it will promote over rotation of the shoulders and lead to casting. We all know how "scap loading" came about, It was talked about everywhere! So I get it when someone talks or asks about scap loading.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
During the first pause on the Griffey clip his scap loads
I learned this off a podcast with Coach Lotta I believe ok so not trying to reinvent the wheel here. Hang a piece of rope that ties off over your head and hangs 2-3 inches off the floor with a loop there to stick your foot in. With your foot in stand under it. Stride out and control your forward move. You'll feel what's really loaded.

Apr 11, 2015
Copy that, and thanks for the clarification...I believe we have more in common than not...
I work on "1 legged" hitting so my final answer is "move out". The reason for this gif is to somewhat prove that "scap loading" is a joke and one shouldn't be stuck on that. Reason being, if you're not careful with "scap" instruction it will promote over rotation of the shoulders and lead to casting. We all know how "scap loading" came about, It was talked about everywhere! So I get it when someone talks or asks about scap loading.
I too use/teach the "1 legged" philosophy, and I think(?) we're both in agreement wrt "cause" vs "effect", and that the "scap load" is more of an "effect" of other things ("move out") happening, and not a "cause" of physically pulling back or "loading" it separately or on its own if said differently.

IOWs, the scap gets loaded (effect), and is not loaded as an independent teach or move (cause).

Just my thoughts wrt it anyway.

Mar 13, 2015
Omaha, Ne
Copy that, and thanks for the clarification...I believe we have more in common than not...
I too use/teach the "1 legged" philosophy, and I think(?) we're both in agreement wrt "cause" vs "effect", and that the "scap load" is more of an "effect" of other things ("move out") happening, and not a "cause" of physically pulling back or "loading" it separately or on its own if said differently.

IOWs, the scap gets loaded (effect), and is not loaded as an independent teach or move (cause).

Just my thoughts wrt it anyway.
Heck yes!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse