When does the batter start moving.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
There are multiple ways I use to deal with a two-strike situation ... but starting from a 'swing launch' position is not one of them ... nor will it be at any time in the future.

I am wondering why. Try having a student hit from swing launch. I think you might be surprised how well and often they make contact and how hard they are still able to hit the ball . It's better than striking out. Might be good for advancing runners. I mean who would of thought the bunt, pull back, swing approach would have ever caught on. It is not easy to do. It is hard to teach 12u girls this move. Some get it while other struggle mightily.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I am wondering why. Try having a student hit from swing launch. I think you might be surprised how well and often they make contact and how hard they are still able to hit the ball . It's better than striking out. Might be good for advancing runners. I mean who would of thought the bunt, pull back, swing approach would have ever caught on. It is not easy to do. It is hard to teach 12u girls this move. Some get it while other struggle mightily.

RH ... if it works well for you, then why reserve it for a 2-strike mechanic? Why not start from a 'swing launch position' on every pitch?

To me it isn't so much about the 'position', but about the movement into and through 'that position'. In fact, IMO anyway, if you take care of the movement then the 'positions' will follow.

By the way ... your comment of "better than striking out" is interesting. A strike-out is simply an out ... and in some cases it is the preferred out.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
In some cases it is the prefered out. Yeah, but at 12u advancing runners and putting the ball in play is preferred 10 to 1 over strikeout. Can't image trying to teach that concept to an eleven year old. Again, I am not claiming it is the next best thing, but I find it interesting. And remember H of F, 6 time mvp Rod Carew was a little unorthodox. Not saying he hit from launch position, but it was different. Different ways to skin the cat. Sorry to the cat lovers out there.

Rod Carew's masterful stroke without equal in today's game - SweetSpot- ESPN

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
In some cases it is the prefered out. Yeah, but at 12u advancing runners and putting the ball in play is preferred 10 to 1 over strikeout. Can't image trying to teach that concept to an eleven year old. Again, I am not claiming it is the next best thing, but I find it interesting. And remember H of F, 6 time mvp Rod Carew was a little unorthodox. Not saying he hit from launch position, but it was different. Different ways to skin the cat. Sorry to the cat lovers out there.

Rod Carew's masterful stroke without equal in today's game - SweetSpot- ESPN

I suppose if you are playing against a weak defense then putting the ball in play will work just fine.

Simply putting the ball in play against a decent defensive team can result in a double play ... and many coaches would prefer a strike out over a double play.

Teaching a 11yo to swing so as to drive the ball is not that big of a feat. Anyone working with me that is simply trying to put the ball in play isn't going to receive much praise :). In fact, do that a few times in a row and I'm likely to bark at the hitter.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Hitting the ball hard is also what the youth wants. You can hit the ball hard with a partial swing, especially launch, but i have used SNF instead with newbie hitters in place of launch.

Such as with this girl. She is actually doing a "hand path" direction drill to stay on top of the ball, this just happens tp be a high pitch, as i vary heights, but in a SNF position.

since the game was the next day, she asked if she could hit from SNF, and i said yes. the ball was not just put in play but hit hard.
liliSNFhighpitch.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad