When does the batter start moving.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hows this? The batter will not move those hands to swing until they are going to swing for sure, then if they realize they made a wrong choice, they stop.

Now is it possible to start slower instead of full commitment? Such as Don Slaught suggests?

In other words, does the "twitch" change locations based on caution?
As an example a home run derby swing and a full count. or 0 and 2.

Mann, what do you mean by "based on caution"?

FYI, it is during the 'twitch' that the barrel seeks plane.

Oct 10, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Mann, what do you mean by "based on caution"?

FYI, it is during the 'twitch' that the barrel seeks plane.

How about instead of "it is during the 'twitch' that the barrel seeks plane" "during the barrel seeking plane, the twitch happens"? Because the twitch is so much quicker than the plane seeking.

By cation i am saying that in the home run derby you can wait to go "twitch" from an earlier easy read, as opposed to 0 and 2 in a live game. you can slot lag longer before twitch.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
How about instead of "it is during the 'twitch' that the barrel seeks plane" "during the barrel seeking plane, the twitch happens"? Because the twitch is so much quicker than the plane seeking.

By cation i am saying that in the home run derby you can wait to go "twitch" from an earlier easy read, as opposed to 0 and 2 in a live game. you can slot lag longer before twitch.

Mann ... no ..... the 'twitch' has the torso-engine pulling on both the humerus of the rear arm and the humerus of the lead arm. It is during this 'pull' that one applies the 'short hands' mechanic described earlier ... and it is this action that has the lead arm 'finding the ball' ... i.e., put on plane.

I still am not following your usage of 'caution' ... whether dealing with 'slow head-on front toss' or 'full speed live pitching' the 'twitch' action is the same.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
To me it isn't necessarily about being in a 'position' ... otherwise folks would simply start in 'that position' .... instead it is about gaining a 'feel' of being ready to use the torso and hands. I gain that 'feel' during my 'move out' and 'reading of the pitch'.

I watched some pgf games and saw a couple hitters once they got to 2 strikes, did start in that position(foot plant/ hips opening/ shoulders still slightly closed/ hands back/ barrel partial turned) and were successful with that approach. I practice this with my DD in the cage with pitching machine because I want her to feel relaxed and calm in that position. She hits the ball well. Sure, you give up some bat speed but she still can get it into the outfield. Does anyone remember Rod Carew's batting stance? I am surprised I don't see this approach more often. And no , I have never had her try it in a game. She doesn't get to 2 strikes to often.LOL I thinks it is a better approach than the set up bunt, pull back, swing that I see some teams employ.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
RDB and the scap load. I think the scap loads/moves as a result of coil (elbow back) but it is really loading rear leg. The scap and the muscles around the scap are not a big source of power in and of themselves. Does that sound fair?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I watched some pgf games and saw a couple hitters once they got to 2 strikes, did start in that position(foot plant/ hips opening/ shoulders still slightly closed/ hands back/ barrel partial turned) and were successful with that approach. I practice this with my DD in the cage with pitching machine because I want her to feel relaxed and calm in that position. She hits the ball well. Sure, you give up some bat speed but she still can get it into the outfield. Does anyone remember Rod Carew's batting stance? I am surprised I don't see this approach more often. And no , I have never had her try it in a game. She doesn't get to 2 strikes to often.LOL I thinks it is a better approach than the set up bunt, pull back, swing that I see some teams employ.

There are multiple ways I use to deal with a two-strike situation ... but starting from a 'swing launch' position is not one of them ... nor will it be at any time in the future.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414