whats the average speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
MECHANICS - MECHANICS - MECHANICS...your DD's goal IMHO should be the best mechanics possible for her body type and the ability to hit her spots with any pitch at least 75% of the time. DD increased 8 MPH over the last two years because of a pitching coach that stresses and reinforces solid fundamental mechanics along with her practicing at least twice a week and having/maintaining a personal desire to succeed. DD's increase in height and strength hasn't hurt either.

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Just a tip. Be careful making quick radical mechanical changes each practice. It's easy to guess and guess wrong if you are frustrated about progress. It can cause confusion and will set you back. Just go slow and make sure every change you make really makes sense,as long as she works hard be positive but realistic.

Jan 27, 2011
Los Angeles
I think that you should focus on mechanics, not speed. Speed is the symptom, not the cause. As her mechanics improve, so will her speed.
Hear, hear!

My daughter's pitching coach has never used a radar gun, but she certainly can tell whether DD throws with 100% effort, and also when the speed jumps up when everything clicks just right. If you're catching, you can tell too.

As to what is the normal speed, I suggest you just compare her with the other pitchers in her league. That automatically adjusts for age and level, and you can just do it by eye instead of with a gun. Anyway, what ultimately matters is how many hits they give up, not how fast they did it.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
For the last 4 years I have had a radar gun at tournaments from recreational through 18Gold to JC through DI college. I have been at tournaments in Southern California, Central California, Northern California and in Colorado.

I have found this chart to be pretty accurate:

10-Under Typical 37-41 MPH Top Pitchers 43-46
12-Under Typical 44-47 MPH Top Pitchers 50-53
14-Under Typical 46-49 MPH Top Pitchers 52-55
16-Under Typical 50-53 MPH Top Pitchers 54-57
18-Under Typical 53-56 MPH Top Pitchers 58-61
College Typical 59-64 MPH Top Pitchers 65-72

I can count on 1 hand pitchers that are outside of these guidelines.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
For the last 4 years I have had a radar gun at tournaments from recreational through 18Gold to JC through DI college. I have been at tournaments in Southern California, Central California, Northern California and in Colorado.

I have found this chart to be pretty accurate:

10-Under Typical 37-41 MPH Top Pitchers 43-46
12-Under Typical 44-47 MPH Top Pitchers 50-53
14-Under Typical 46-49 MPH Top Pitchers 52-55
16-Under Typical 50-53 MPH Top Pitchers 54-57
18-Under Typical 53-56 MPH Top Pitchers 58-61
College Typical 59-64 MPH Top Pitchers 65-72

I can count on 1 hand pitchers that are outside of these guidelines.

I'm not sure I agree with this list. First let me say my DD is not a pitcher so I don't really care about bragging about her being above average. She plays second year 14U 'A' TB and is in the 8th grade (late 96 birthday). I have been assistant coaching her team for the last 10 yrs, 'A' ball for the past 3. All 3 years on different teams.

When in 12U, the #1 pitcher on our team threw between 53 and 55, #2 was 51-54 and they were by no means the fastest out there.

Last year in 1st yr 14U, #1 was 54-57 and #2 was 50-53. #2 got beat up alot, had to play good defence to have a chance.

This year we are on a 2nd yr team with #1 and #2 both throwing between 57 and 60. This was measured by college coaches at a pitcher and hitter "showcase" at a local training facility. They also were not the fastest. After the showcase, all particepants were told speeds of all the pitchers in attendance. Top 14U was 68 but she is known for being the fastest around. Most 14U averaged between 54 and 56, with several throwing faster. These may be some of the best around here, but there are many more than you "can count on one hand". There is no way 46-49 mph pitchers can survive in 14U around here, some change ups are about that speed. Hitters practice at 55. I guess I'm assuming this area is representative of most others around the country as far as talent goes.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
FPMark, I wish that I was seeing that good of pitching here in Tucson. With the poor mechanics that seems to be evident, even at 14U and 16U, good pitchers are few and far between.

I did watch a 12U girl recently that I called "a chucker." She was hefty and just threw as hard as she could. She did not have any pitches. Many people thought that she was good because she could throw hard. In my opinion, she wouldn't even be a good HS pitcher, but with all things being equal around here, she'll still be throwing if her poor mechanics don't sideline her.

I am just not seeing girls that are much over 50 at any age group here.

Jul 1, 2010
Not to sidetrack a thread, but...... maybe some of the more experienced members can give me some thoughts. My DD is a decent (bracket) 10U pitcher that plans to move to 12U this summer (she turns 11 this year) I've been having her throw some from 40 feet with a 12" ball. Also, been trying to get her mentally ready for bigger, stronger, smarter batters at 12U as well as the larger ball and 5 extra feet, without ruining all the fun of the last few months of 10U.

Based on your experiences: How much speed should she expect to lose (avg) initially, how long does the transition normally take and, any tips on helping prepare for and make that transition? I realize that "individual experiences may vary", but any thoughts are appreciated.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quickpitch