whats the average speed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 6, 2009
Exactly This question comes up all the time and eventually you get one of those answerws where everyone at U14 is throwing mid 50's. That's not the case. The above average are throwing around what the chart says 52-55. The best throw slightly harder than that.

Oct 13, 2010
Georgia
Amy, I'm a little surprised to here that. Maybe there are just alot of extrordinary pitchers around here. I don't know. I do know that some of the teams around here take softball VERY serious. As I said, my DD is a '96 and plays against '95s first year, and '97s 2nd year. I can tell you the '97s have some of the best talent I have seen. One of the local teams finished 2nd at ASA nationals last year. Their pitcher was not one I saw the speed of, but I would bet it was in the mid to upper 50s as 2nd year 12. More bad news, I also heard the girl that threw 68 joined their team this year.

I'm not saying that speed is the only thing that makes successful pitchers, but it helps, and that is what colleges look for. The 68mph pitcher does not throw that hard in games, but she can if she needs to. The pitchers were given 5 pitches at the showcase to throw as hard as possible, so if you clocked them in a game you probably would not see that kind of speed. Maybe thats part of the difference between what I say and what coach-n-dad says. But I still say that his speeds sound a liitle slower than what I have seen.

Oct 22, 2009
I set speed goals for my pitchers
I like for my 10u's to throw over 35mph--my low is 37 -my top is 41
I like for my 12u's to throw over 40mph---my low is 42 - my top is 50
I like for my 14u's to throw over 50mph --- my low is 46 -my top is (2) @54
I like for my high schoolers to throw over 55mph.--my low is 55 - my top is 60mph

Most of my focus is on mechanics.
I bring the gun out about 4 times a year, to allow them to see where they are, and sometimes it gives them a kick start when they haven't been listening to me about their mechanics then they see the results on the gun.

A note I want to make about speed--I have a 13yr old student that NEVER practices, even her lessons with me are hit and miss, she throws around 46 with "fair" control. She has just realized that she doesn't want to play 14u rec ball. So she is hitting the travel ball tryouts and not getting any call backs.
Even of she had great control and had good breaking pitches, she still may not get a call back, unless those travel coaches see some kind of speed.

May 7, 2008
Morris County, NJ
DD is 13 (playing 1st year 14U), 5'2' 107 lbs with her uniform and cleats on. Her coach brought out the gun 2 weeks ago. DD was consistantly at 52 MPH, which is sightly above average but not a speed anyone will go "Wow" at. DD improves a few mph every year and has added a screwball and drop to the change-up, all of which are thrown for strikes consistantly.

DD is a pitcher, not a "thrower" or "chucker". She needs to mix speeds, change the vertical and horizontal location of her pitches and stay ahead in each count to be successful.

Feb 7, 2011
Played them

My team played the 99 Birmingham Thunderbolts at King Of The Mountain and none of there 99 pitchers threw over 51mph.I'm not calling you out or calling you a liar because I wasn't there.They may have had an older player playing down or filling in that weekend.We knocked the ace pitcher out in the first inning and she was know where near 58.Also what good is just a fastball in 12u-18u those are the ones that go over the fence.It only works for about an inning then everyone usually catches up to the speed.My first year DD in 12u throws about 51-52 but has different pitches other than a fastball and is very accurate.You have to keep hitters off balance these days with all the hot bats out there.
Most 12u pitcher I have seen playing A ball throw at least 50MPH with the strongest pitcher throwing 57-58MPH. Two weeks ago I saw a 99 with the Birmingham Bolt throw a consistant 58MPH fastball on three different guns.

That bieng said my 99 throws consistent strikes at 45MPH but she can hit 54MPH the mechanics just arent tuned in enough to pitch at this speed. Our pitching coach has told her to throw the hardest she can and is working on the accuracy with her and it's getting better. Said it would set her back for a few months but is the best thing for her long term so we went with it. She is the number three pitcher anyway unitl the 98's move up in the fall.

Feb 7, 2011
Yea it is always funny to me how all these pitchers put down I throw 62mph and have 6 different pitches on the profile sheet for the Queen of Diamonds.When we walked up to the field and saw the radar gus behing every homeplate I didn't see but maybe a half a dozen actually throw what they stated on their profile.I have to say I guess the college coaches recruiting also notice this.
Top Pitchers in the Midwest . Notice how few hit above 60 !
NFCA.ORG

Also same data when I attended the Queen of Diamond North and South. Few hit over 60.

Feb 9, 2011
My team played the 99 Birmingham Thunderbolts at King Of The Mountain and none of there 99 pitchers threw over 51mph.I'm not calling you out or calling you a liar because I wasn't there.They may have had an older player playing down or filling in that weekend.We knocked the ace pitcher out in the first inning and she was know where near 58.Also what good is just a fastball in 12u-18u those are the ones that go over the fence.It only works for about an inning then everyone usually catches up to the speed.My first year DD in 12u throws about 51-52 but has different pitches other than a fastball and is very accurate.You have to keep hitters off balance these days with all the hot bats out there.

Your not calling me out it's ok, I don't know those kids from anyone we live in Arkansas. That happened when we where at Missisippi States' Softball camp and everyone there was talking about a 12u that threw 58 on the gun. I walked over to check her out and saw them check on a different gun. I don't know her name saw her and her dad a McD's after and her number was 18 and he said she was a 99.

This wasn't during a game keep in mind and they were not calling balls and strikes just a cage and a gun checking the girls speed. I am sure there is no way she or any other pitcher that age could maintain 58 through a entire game.

As far as a fast ball you are right most top team around here in 14u will go nuts if their pitcher throws a fastball the girls jump all over it and hit it to the fence. They want all junk balls with alot of variety.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Yes they notice. You read the mini profiles and then you watch. It just isn't the pitching. One kid had 2.76 listed from home to first and didn't break 2.9. Only one kid broke the 2.80 barrier.

Feb 9, 2011
Amy, I'm a little surprised to here that. Maybe there are just alot of extrordinary pitchers around here. I don't know. I do know that some of the teams around here take softball VERY serious. As I said, my DD is a '96 and plays against '95s first year, and '97s 2nd year. I can tell you the '97s have some of the best talent I have seen. One of the local teams finished 2nd at ASA nationals last year. Their pitcher was not one I saw the speed of, but I would bet it was in the mid to upper 50s as 2nd year 12. More bad news, I also heard the girl that threw 68 joined their team this year.

I'm not saying that speed is the only thing that makes successful pitchers, but it helps, and that is what colleges look for. The 68mph pitcher does not throw that hard in games, but she can if she needs to. The pitchers were given 5 pitches at the showcase to throw as hard as possible, so if you clocked them in a game you probably would not see that kind of speed. Maybe thats part of the difference between what I say and what coach-n-dad says. But I still say that his speeds sound a liitle slower than what I have seen.

You know it's not fair to compare our biscuit and gravy southern girls to SoCal Vegetarians at this age. JK but I do think some of the girls around here have a stockier build than alot of the girls out west. Our pitcher is a 98 and is about 5'5" and 160 and that isn't uncommon from what I have seen at the different tournaments given there are still alot of small girls like my DD that are trying to hang in there.

Realisticly though, how many of the top girls in 12u are going to be the top girls on 16u and HS. Some of the best Gold Elite player my DD has talked to where number 2 or 3 when they played 10u and 12u it actually pushed them to be the player they are now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd